I'm wondering about Passports?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

I'm wondering about Passports?

Postby amerital43 » 07 Sep 2009, 16:42

I was wondering how passports worked in Italy circa 1900-1925? I know that sounds funny but please read on.

According to what I've been told, after my grandparents got married in Italy, about 1900, they migrated to Argentina. In fact, my uncle was born there and learned Italian and Spanish simultaneously. After a couple of years they went back to Italy (I don't know for how long) and then my grandfather came to NYC alone and my grandmother came a couple of years later.

So I want to know if Italy would have re-issued a new passport for the trip to NY, or was the passport she used previously have been the one she used again for America. In which case would I find a record in the Nat'l Archives? Did Italian passports of the time have expiration dates like the US or were they like citizenship papers that lasted for the life of the person?

Thanks to all who explain. :wink:

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: I'm wondering about Passports?

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Sep 2009, 17:00

In 1869 the Italian government reuired people to obtain pasports to move within Italy so that young men did not emigrate to avoid the military draf.

Consequently passports were issued by the police and up to the present time are still issued by the "QUESTURA" (head of the Internal Police in Italy in each province).
Although you may write to request passport information fromthe Questura, the archives are not open to the public and you may or may not hear from them .
The only other thing is to write to the "ANAGRAFE"(census office) in the Comune for any residency changes and emigration along with dates and probable destinations.

For Argentina you might wish to write to theArgentina immigration office CEMLA in Buenos Aires (need to know spanish and pay a fee ).

While I am not certain, Italian Passports were issed as an identity document and consequently, I do not believe they had expiration dates.=Peter=
~Peter~

amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Re: I'm wondering about Passports?

Postby amerital43 » 07 Sep 2009, 17:32

Thank you Peter for your answer. So it sounds like once the passport (identity) paper was given it would have been the same each time you traveled around Italy and stamped each time you came in or out also. Does that sound correct?

Although the Nat'l Archives I was referencing was NARA (American) I guess I'll ask: Was the ANAGRAFFE around since unification? My g-parents were from Reggione Apuglia, a town outside Bari.

Thanks again. :wink:

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”