How to get italian passport through IURE SANGUINIS?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

How to get italian passport through IURE SANGUINIS?

Postby termoli80 » 14 Sep 2009, 17:06

Hi, this is my first post!
I am italian and live in London with my partner which is Australian.
He is now trying to get his italian passport through his parents.
The situation is the following:
- His mum was born in Italy from italian parents and they all moved to Australia when she was 5. Once there they all got naturalized.
My question is: can she regain her lost italian citizenship since at her birth both her parents were italian citizens and became australian only after?
and once/if she gets her citizenship back, can my partner apply for an italian passport?

- His dad's parents were both italian and emigrated to Australia before the forties. Then his dad was born in Australia.
My question is: can his dad apply for an italian passport as his parents naturalized australian only after he was born and he never had to do so since he was already australian?
Sorry for all these questions but we would like to know more about it before starting the whole application...Thanks a lot!!

Re: How to get italian passport through IURE SANGUINIS?

Postby PeterTimber » 14 Sep 2009, 17:18

Easy enough! Go to and put in title OBTAINING ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP IN AUSTRALIA and select the very first entry..good luck OZ!=Peter=

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”