Grandfathers Information_Palermo Sicily

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Grandfathers Information_Palermo Sicily

Postby JScanio » 19 Sep 2009, 01:49

Hi All...

I was wondering if you could help me with some information. My Husband and his father were born in South America, but his grand parents were from Sicily. We have no information except for the following:

Grandfathers name: Francesco (or Francisco) Scanio
Grandmothers name: Rosa Disparti

We do not know when they were born or what town in Palermo, but we do know that my husbands father was born in Argentina in 1933. So we are guessing his parents were born in the late 1800's or early 1900's and we know for certain they immigrated to Argentina before 1933.

We are trying to send my husbands paper work to Italy for his citizenship, but we need to get copies of his grandparents birth and marriage certificates from Palermo. Any ideas or help on how we can do this?

PS: We do not live in the USA, we live in the Cayman Islands

Thank you!

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Grandfathers Information_Palermo Sicily

Postby misbris » 19 Sep 2009, 02:35

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Both names are relatively uncommon. Try using this site to see which towns in Sicily both appear. (I am making the assumption they met and married in Sicily) It will narrow down your possibilities.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JScanio » 19 Sep 2009, 02:55

I am not sure if they met and married in Sicily.

I just did a search for ships that went to Argentina and found a Francesco Scanio that went to Argentina from Genova on the Orione on 3-11-1897. There was also another Francesco Scanio who was older (maybe great grandfather) and a Carmela Scanio who was 31 (maybe great grandmother. My husband has a niece named Carmela Scanio so this is hopeful for us). THere was also a Gaetanor Scanio who was 27 that traveled to (maybe great granduncle?)

If this is my husbands grandfather who traveled at the age of 1 then he probably didnt get married in sicily. I didnt find any results for the search of my husbands grandmother, Rosa Disparti, on the ships logs.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Sep 2009, 13:14

The website for Argentina immigration is currently not working but when it does come up I will check to see if, at any time, a person named DISPARTI ever entered Argentina. =Peter=
~Peter~

JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JScanio » 19 Sep 2009, 13:37

Thank you Peter. Thank would be great!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Sep 2009, 13:52

I checked the Argentina telephone directory and there are 17 persons listed with the DISPARTI surname. www.paginasblancas.com.ar =Peter=
~Peter~

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Sep 2009, 14:42

The link to Argentina is also experiencing problems this AM. I found the address for a ROSA MM de DISPARTI in Argentina. In the event you wish to write to her here is the address:
ALSINA 1988
MENDOZA LUZURIAGE
MAIPU CP(M5516ABD)
ARGENTINA

=Peter=
~Peter~

JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JScanio » 19 Sep 2009, 14:52

Thank you so much! My husbands grandparents died before he was born and his father passed away before he was able to learn about his full heritage. Aside from just gathering documents we are actually discovering his family history.

We will write to Rosa as my husbands grandparents also lived in Mendoza.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 19 Sep 2009, 15:15

JScanio wrote:I am not sure if they met and married in Sicily.

I just did a search for ships that went to Argentina and found a Francesco Scanio that went to Argentina from Genova on the Orione on 3-11-1897. There was also another Francesco Scanio who was older (maybe great grandfather) and a Carmela Scanio who was 31 (maybe great grandmother. My husband has a niece named Carmela Scanio so this is hopeful for us). THere was also a Gaetanor Scanio who was 27 that traveled to (maybe great granduncle?)

If this is my husbands grandfather who traveled at the age of 1 then he probably didnt get married in sicily. I didnt find any results for the search of my husbands grandmother, Rosa Disparti, on the ships logs.

maybe your husband's ancestors came in Argentina after the 1920 so you cannot find the immigration records in the normal website ( Agnelli foundation) but you can cotact CEMLA
http://www.cemla.com/home.php
http://www.cemla.com/busqueda.html
because they having all immigration records and sure 15 SCANIO emigrated as a well 6 DI SPARTI ( no DISPARTI, but with space so: DI SPARTI)
I believe that the immigration's records after 1920 can have the birthplace record...
however from surnames seeming that the birth area is around Vicari, Lercara Friddi and Roccapalumba or some other common near....
hoping helpful,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JScanio » 21 Sep 2009, 12:11

Thank you SuanJ! We are going to look at this tonight. My husbands aunt (the only person in the family who might be able to help us) is very old and ill right now. We tried calling her to get information from her and she didn't remember my husband. So we might be on our own.

Thank you again!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 21 Sep 2009, 12:18

happy of to help!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby JScanio » 21 Sep 2009, 23:26

OK, well I have some good news... We just got the official names of my husbands grandparents. A little different from what we were originally told and we also got some other information too!!!

My husbands grandfather's name was : Francisco Humberto Scanio (not Francesco Scanio) and his grandmothers name was Rosalia Dispartte (not Rosa Disparti). We also managed to find out what comune in Sicily they were born in!!! The town is Roccapalumba. They were both Born there. We also found out that the grandfather was born Feb 22, but they didnt know the year. My husbands grandparents were married in Mendoza, Argentina in 1919. My husbands grandfather was 29 at the time, so that would make his year of birth approx 1890.

This is really great news for us as we can now start some sort of the process for getting papers!

So this is what it seems like we need to get and from where:

Palermo: Birth Certificates for both grandparents
Mendoza: Marriage certificate and death certificate for both grandparents and father and Birth Certificate for father, certificate of no records (showing they renounced their citizenship)???
Chile: Marriage certificate of father and mother (they divorced, does he need this too?)

Husbands birth certificate

I think that is about it... does it look like I am missing anything?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”