Copy of C-File from Genealogy section of USCIS

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lilbees
Master
Master

Copy of C-File from Genealogy section of USCIS

Postby lilbees » 19 Sep 2009, 17:02

Tried to obtain a copy of the above C_File from the USCIS Genealogy Section about my grandfather.

What I received is what I already had...........

A rather poor copy of his intention to naturalize and a copy of his Certificate of Naturalization dated 1924. I was informed all other documents were classifed and were too personal to send.

Now, my grandfather was born in 1883. He died in 1950 here in the US.

I was informed that I may appeal their decision within 60 days. This is so frustrating. After waiting for so long for a response this is all I get. I am beginning to believe that making the request online has caused this situation since nothing is attached to the request to prove who I am.

I have now written a letter of appeal and enclosed a copy of his death certificate, my mother's birth certificate, her death certificate and my birth certificate and current driver's license to show proof of relationship.

Again, now have to wait months again for any kind of response. When I phoned I was told it shouldn't be more than 6 months before I hear of their decision on the appeal.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Copy of C-File from Genealogy section of USCIS

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Sep 2009, 17:08

call your congressman. =Peter=
~Peter~

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 19 Sep 2009, 17:44

Not a bad idea if they would listen which I doubt very much. I now live in Georgia with some not too great congressman.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Sep 2009, 23:43

Tell him "I am a constituent and what have you done for me lately" =Peter=
~Peter~

giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby giannattasio » 20 Sep 2009, 16:39

Did you request the information from USCIS through an FOIA request form or a genealogy request form?

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 20 Sep 2009, 18:12

I agree with Peter, the USCIS is bureaucracy at it's worst, not only would I call my congressman, but follow up with a brief letter.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 20 Sep 2009, 23:43

Almost 2 years ago I applied with an FOIA request form with all attachments and appropriate certificate number. No reply.

I then applied online through the Genealogy section early this summer. As I said earlier, with little or nothing from them.

I believe the FOIA form is the better way but now not sure that it is still the way.

lilbees

giannattasio
Rookie
Rookie

Postby giannattasio » 21 Sep 2009, 06:51

In response to my FOIA request they sent me the documents for the wrong person. I had to go through the whole appeal process and it took about 2 years for me to finally get my no record of naturalization. There is no way to speed up the process.
With the FOIA request they have to make your requested records available to you unless they fall under one of the exemption categories. With the genealogy request they don't have any obligation. Did you check your original FOIA request status online? Here is the list of exemptions:
http://www.osec.doc.gov/omo/FOIA/exemptions.htm
You can thank the Bush administration for the enormous backlog of FOIA requests. Attorney General, John Ashcroft, urged all federal agencies to resist FOIA requests made by American citizens. President Obama lifted that ban in the first month of his presidency. I received my no record of nat 2 months after Obama took office.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”