Completely lost but determined

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
vanessa1105

Completely lost but determined

Postby vanessa1105 » 21 Sep 2009, 01:25

Basic info: My paternal great grandfather was born in Italy and migrated to Peru. At some point after my grandmother was born and remained in Peru, he moved to the United States. It was only within a few years that we discovered that he was Italian and a distant family member gathered information to get her European citizenship and is now living in Spain. My grandmother, mother, father and myself all live in the United States. From Peru, I have a copy of my GGF's passport. (I do qualify to get nationality as my father was born after that certain date to pass nationality from my grandmother). My GGF's name was Bertolami Angelo V. Which could be Angelo V Bertolami. He came into Peru in 1925 but we are not sure when he left for the United States. The rest of my family, they all migrated to the United States in the 1970's. My grandmother became an american citizen in 1987 and I became one in 2003. (I have called the Italian consulate in Los Angeles, and they have told me that us becoming American citizens doesnt deny me Italian citizenship since it does accept dual citizenship with Italy, I may call again tomorrow and ask again.) My father is still a Peruvian citizen with a residential card for the United States. Like I said, we only discovered that my great grandfather was an italian citizen less than 5 years ago since he escaped to the US when my grandmother was still a little girl.

I got some answers from mler on a previous post, so thank you.

Here's the information in spanish (i'll translate into English) of the copy of my GGFs passport copy.

# 3857
Nombres (Names) Bertolami Angelo V
Nationalidad (Nationality) - Italo/Italian
Edad (Age) - 18
Estado (Status) - Single
Procedencia (Provenance) - Genova
# y fecha pasaporte (# and passport date) - 198 - 25.2
Ingreso (Entrance) - 1925
Residencia (Residence) - Pozo 470
Ocupacion (Occupation) - Obrero

Other stuff I can't read since the handwriting is too fancy for me to understand.

How could I get a birth certificate of my GGF, where would I send or search for his origin of birth so i know where to look for it. Which consulates would help me more, the Italian consulates or the Peruvian in this case?

Also, would other people be able to get this information in person as I still have family in Peru and plenty of friends in Italy there.

Any information (additional) would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Vanessa

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Completely lost but determined

Postby misbris » 21 Sep 2009, 02:35

Could this be your ggrandfather?

Preview
Name: Angelo Vincenzo Bertolami
Birth Date: abt 1898
Naturalization Date: 16 Dec 1946
Residence: Bronx, New York
Title and Location of Court: New York Southern District

vanessa1105

Postby vanessa1105 » 21 Sep 2009, 02:47

Yes, that actually could be. I knew that he actually came to NY after he left Peru.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 21 Sep 2009, 03:07

Here is his SSI info.

Name: Angelo Bertolami
SSN: 092-09-3642
Last Residence: 10469 Bronx, Bronx, New York, United States of America
Born: 2 Jun 1898
Last Benefit: 10306 Staten Island, Richmond, New York, United States of America
Died: Apr 1978
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

vanessa1105

Postby vanessa1105 » 21 Sep 2009, 03:10

So where should I send my first born? haha Thank you so much!

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 21 Sep 2009, 18:29

You are very welcome. :lol: If you want a copy of his naturalization record, here is the info.

http://www.italiangen.org/southernresul ... nter=exact

http://www.italiangen.org/Naturalizatio ... enSite.pdf

It might have his place of birth, which you need to get his birth certificate.

vanessa1105

Postby vanessa1105 » 22 Sep 2009, 03:49

Thank you so much. I'm ordering his naturalization records tomorrow, so hopefully I will get it soon and find out where in Italy he was born. As soon as I get more information, I can then also order his death certificate and get that translated as most of my documents will be coming from Peru and that may take a while. Thank you again so much.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”