Italians to Australia

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
misschristi16
Elite
Elite

Italians to Australia

Postby misschristi16 » 23 Sep 2009, 20:45

I am wondering how to find some family members that went to Australia in the early 1900's.
The year is unknown, probably anywhere between 1899-1915 or so.

I was told that my grandfather had 4 brothers, 2 came to America and two went to Australia.

I have no record of any brothers, or siblings at all--but have found 2 that came to America--from the ships registry information. Now, going on the hunch that there were more family members, I would like to see how to tell who went to Australia.

Is there any way to check the NAPLES port for passengers leaving? Or is the only way I can find them is by Australia registry.

Please help--the last name is PALMIERI and they were from Corbara Italy.

Thanks.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Italians to Australia

Postby PeterTimber » 23 Sep 2009, 21:24

There are no exit records from Italy to OZ and since you don't know where they landed in OZ the best bet is to go to www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx or you might wish to e-mail ref@naa.gov.au for reference inquiries as to arrival records by name. www.naa.gov.au relates. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”