Apostile Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Apostile Question

Postby JScanio » 23 Sep 2009, 23:47

I was wondering if you could help with questions regarding the Apostile.

Does each individual document need to have it's own apostile or can one apostile suffice for all the documents?

Also, we are collecting certificates from 3 different countries...

Chile, Argentina & Cayman.

Do the documents need to have an apostile from each country or can they all have an apostile from one country?

Do the apostile's expire? If we get a document apostiled today, but dont have an appointment for over a year, will the apostile still be good?

Molto Grazie!

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Apostile Question

Postby jwazevedo » 24 Sep 2009, 02:25

The Hague Conference was set up to harmonize legal matters between various countries. The Hague Convention of 1961 introduced the concept of the Apostille to eliminate the need for documents to be legalized at the consulate level. Not all countries subscribe to this Convention (for example, Canada, where I live, does not), and the process for getting an apostille for a document various by region and sometimes by document.

To get an apostille, basically you are asking the state agency to certify that the document is legal and valid. So, to answer one of your questions, an apostille applies to one document, not to a set of documents.

In your case, Argentina is a signatory to the Hague Convention, so you should be able to get an apostille for your Argentine documents. Chile is not a signatory, so you'll need to ask the Italian consulate what they want to do about that. I believe the Italian Consulate in Chile would handle that process. I understand that if you apply in one consular jurisdiction and your documents come from another, the Italian Consulate where you apply sends them to their counterpart where the document originated for legalization. Check with the consulate on this.

The Cayman Islands is not a signatory to the Hague Convention, but they could possibly fall under the umbrella of the UK, which is. Again, this is something you'll need to check with the consulate.

For more on apostilles, see:
http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act=te ... lay&tid=37

Good luck!
Jerry

JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Apostile Question

Postby JScanio » 24 Sep 2009, 03:38

Thanks Jerry.

The Cayman Islands does recognize the Hague Convention and does perform apostilles. I use them a lot for work here and they are very expensive ($150 American Dollars each apostille.)

My husband has to file his application in Miami as there is no consulate in Cayman. We are visiting his family in Argentina and Chile in November, so we will go ahead and get the documents apostilled in the country they originated as we have had no luck getting in contact with the Miami consular.

Molto Grazie!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”