UCIS Records Prior to 1906

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
frattlaw
Rookie
Rookie

UCIS Records Prior to 1906

Postby frattlaw » 28 Sep 2009, 16:00

Where can I find naturalization records from before September 27, 1906?
Naturalization activity prior to September 27, 1906, was under the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts. Naturalization records may be found in Federal, State, or local court records. Practice and procedure varied greatly over time and geographical location, and as a result the best information on how to find pre-1906 naturalization records is usually available from local sources. For more information on State and local courts, contact the State or county historical or genealogical society in the location where you believe the immigrant naturalized. For Federal court records, contact the National Archives or see their webpage at http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/naturalization/.

My great grandfather and family arrived in NYC prior to 1906. I will of course send a request for naturalization records to UCIS for both my great grandfather and mother from 1906 through their deaths.

I have checked several online sites and have not come up with any indication of naturalization records for either one of them. And even in 1930 they are listed as AL - aliens on the 1930 Census.

I am assuming I will get a "No records" response from UCIS.

The question is how do you prove that prior to 1906 they werent naturalized ? It says you have to go to the court records, but has anyone gone through this and have some advice navigating this process ? I am located in Los Angeles and they emmigrated to Brooklyn.

Thanks....

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: UCIS Records Prior to 1906

Postby VaDeb » 28 Sep 2009, 17:24

Prior to 1906 Naturalization could occur in any court. You have to check with county, state and federal courts that cover the area your ancestor lived, or would have applied in. Each court will have their own procedures to access old court records. Some courts have sent naturalization records to archives. There is a good book "They Became Americans: Finding Naturalization Records and Ethnic Origins" by Loretto Dennis Szucs that I have found very helpful in finding records and also explaining the changes in our naturalization laws.

I can't help with what UCIS will require.

Debbie

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 28 Sep 2009, 17:53

Adding another facet to your inquiry...go to www.ancestry.com/learn/library/article. ... icle=230(I donot subscribe to Ancestry .com but if someone would access Ancestry Daily News 1/27/2000 -archive for Naturalziation records perhaps this article will emerge) and www.italiangen.org/Default.htm

Hopefully both websites may prove helpful. =Peter=
~Peter~

frattlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Postby frattlaw » 28 Sep 2009, 18:22

Okay so I'm home sick today so I figured I would start the process...

I placed my "order/request" with UCIS for an index search. I anticipate that will take 3-6 months to get the "no docs" reply back.

I just called the New York Supreme Court 2nd Judicial District's Records Department which covers Kings County (Brooklyn) where my GGF lived after emmigrating to NYC. Unfortunately the Clerk is out today. Here's their address & phone number if anyone else is interested...

The Kings County Clerk
Supreme Court Building
360 Adams Street
Room 189
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(347) 404-9772

My question -- has anyone ever written to this court with a request for immigration/naturalization records relating to an Italian immigrant prior to 1906 ? If so, how did you address the letter/envelope, what did you include as for payment and how long did it take them to respond ?

Has anyone ever done it in person ? I would be fine with traveling to NYC if that would speed up the process.

I also called the federal court in Brooklyn, but no one picked up in the Records Department... Here's their contact info if interested...

Brooklyn Courthouse (Main Office)
United States District Court
Eastern District of New York
225 Cadman Plaza East
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Main Telephone Number
(718) 613-2600

Again, same questions as before with dealing with this court ? Any advice ?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 28 Sep 2009, 20:17

Today is a Jewish Holiday and nobody works in NY on Jewish holidays . Try Tomorrow. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”