Dual Citizenship Question, Father need it first?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
tmparisi

Dual Citizenship Question, Father need it first?

Postby tmparisi » 29 Sep 2009, 15:37

My Great Grandfather (Dominico Parisi) was born on March 13, 1891 and moved from Siderno to Brooklyn in June 4th, 1909. He gave birth to my Grand Father, Gelormo Parisi, on January 1st, 1917. It looks that he never started the naturalization process until at least 1921, if he did at all… still having a hard time finding any of this information. My Great Grandfather, Great Grandmother, Grandfather, and other kids moved back to Italy around 1921. My Greatgrandfather then left his wife and kids in Siderno and moved back to the states on March 21, 1923. My father was born on August 14, 1951 and moved to the States in the late 60’s. He naturalized before giving birth to me in 1984. Does my dad need to regain his citizenship before I can apply for Dual Citizenship?

Also, anyone that is good at research and has a little time I would really appreciate any help to locate some possible naturalization records for my Greatgrandfather. I am also struggling to find any Death Records for him… I am going to write to the Commune in Siderno to see if they have anything on his death on file, but any good researchers would be appreciated as well. He died in Brooklyn/NYC… so the family says.
Thanks everyone!

-Travis

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship Question, Father need it first?

Postby PeterTimber » 29 Sep 2009, 15:44

Travis here are two websites for you to research for the death records and naturalziation records for Brooklyn in NYC. www.nyc.gov./html/records/home.html
www.italiangen.org/Default.htm
www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com

Lots of luck. =Peter=
~Peter~

teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dual Citizenship Question, Father need it first?

Postby teddi » 29 Sep 2009, 18:32

Does my dad need to regain his citizenship before I can apply for Dual Citizenship?

No, he only needs to fill out a Declaration of Living Ascendant stating he has not renounced Italian citizenship. There is no requirement for ancestors to apply for recognition of jure sanguinis citizenship in order for you to apply.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”