do I qualify for dual citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
chicagomom

do I qualify for dual citizenship?

Post by chicagomom »

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Do I qualify for dual citizenship?

My father David Oliva was born in Philadelphia PA in Dec. 13, 1927.

His father, Dominick Michael Oliva was born in Philadelphia PA in 1902.

His father's father, John Oliva, was born in Milazzo, Sicily in 1867 and according to census records immigrated to the US in 1890 and married Christina Campanella (given name Maria Christina Campanella) in 1898. Footnote.com has documentation that John naturalized in 1917; the 1920 census states that his wife Christina also naturalized in 1917 but I can't find a naturalization document for her. Christina was born in Messina, Sicily in Sept. 29, 1881 and came to the US in 1885.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Re: do I qualify for dual citizenship?

Post by JamesBianco »

Since Dominick was born in The US 15 years before his father John Naturalized, you do qualify for dual citizenship.

:D
chicagomom

Post by chicagomom »

Thanks for the information.

Next I need to obtain birth certificates for John/Giovanni and Christina. John was born in Milazzo and Christina was born in Messina. Can anyone tell me the best way to get these?

Thanks for your help.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

You can write to the comuni for these certificates. You'll find lots of info on writing the letters elsewhere on this forum. (It's a common question!)

Good luck!
Jerry