Got an email from NARA..... help ?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Got an email from NARA..... help ?

Postby frattlaw » 03 Oct 2009, 18:52

Is this their "no records" response or do I have to contact NY NARA directly ?

I do not know if my GGF was ever naturalized. I dont think so, so I do not have the court or exact record.

Thanks for the help....

Dear Researcher,

We were unable to locate the records that you requested in order number:NT1-62344731E. Your credit card will not be charged.

The Archivist researching your order provided the following information:This system should only be used when you know the court and exact record number that you want copied. No record number has been provided. This is not a photocopy request, this is a research request. Research requests for our New York office must be sent to Based on the information you furnish we will then check the appropriate indexes. Please include full details in your email (when naturalized, name of person at time of naturalization, and where they were living - at least county). We will then let you know how many index cards, if any, are located and details on them.

We encourage you to use our online service to submit future requests for reproductions of other National Archives records.

Should you have any questions about this order, please do not hesitate to contact us at: (866) 840-1752 or

National Archives and Records Administration,
NARA's Northeast Region (New York City) - Reg. Archives
201 Varick Street, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10014
Phone: (866) 840-1752

Re: Got an email from NARA..... help ?

Postby iolanda2 » 09 Oct 2009, 15:29

I received a personalized letter on letterhead with an original signature from the NARA in California which describes my request and states no record of naturalization found.
I received a preprinted form from the NARA in Chicago, stating no record of naturalization found.
Both offices checked for 2 spellings of my mothers first name.
I did supply the exact city and state of residence for both agencies.

If I continue to pursue Italian Citizenship, I may write back to the NARA in Chicago and ask for a more official letter with original signature.

It appears that each NARA regions has different procedures. I would follow the instructions in the reply and write again to the agency suggested, but you will need to provide the county and state of residence for the period of time that you are interested in.
Good Luck

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”