Birth Certificates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
zeliack

Birth Certificates

Postby zeliack » 16 Oct 2009, 19:51

Regarding italian citizenship, will I need to order a certified copy of my birth certificate or will the one I have on hand be enough? I'm not sure whether or not they plan on keeping it or whatnot. The same question applies for my parents whom I currently reside with.

Main difficulty regarding this is that I was born on an U.S. Army base overseas (asia) and thus will have to get it through the embassy.

tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Birth Certificates

Postby tonyric » 16 Oct 2009, 22:58

You will need new long version copies of them because they will need appostilles and typically the documents have to be under 2 years old to get apostilles.

tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tonyric » 16 Oct 2009, 23:00

If you were born on a Military installation, they will be the ones to issue a replacement, not the Embassy. The Embassy will direct you to the DoD/Hospital on the base you were born at. If the base is now closed you will need to contact the medical facilities that those records were transferred to. I don't envy you, I had a long drawn out and expensive time locating a marriage certificate in Tokyo for me but it can be done.

Just remember that anything worth having is worth the trouble obtaining.

zeliack

Postby zeliack » 17 Oct 2009, 02:04

My mother was born in korea. Would i need some form of korean birth certificate for her? (i'm not sure what they do there) and from what i hear: only the italian stuff needs apostles. right?

tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Postby tonyric » 17 Oct 2009, 12:36

zeliack wrote:My mother was born in korea. Would i need some form of korean birth certificate for her? (i'm not sure what they do there) and from what i hear: only the italian stuff needs apostles. right?

Not knowing which consulate you are going through, it is quite probable... She had to have some form of birth document to satisfy the requirements of the US Army when they married. This will need to be translated to English and depending on the consulate, it will require an apostille from the Korean Foreign Ministry... This is what I had to do with my marriage certificate to a Japanese woman in the 80's.

EDIT: This is unless she had a US BC issued after she naturalized as a US Citizen (if she naturalized)

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”