Italian Citizenship--Success from Chicago and in Borgetto

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Benito512

Italian Citizenship--Success from Chicago and in Borgetto

Postby Benito512 » 01 Nov 2009, 02:19

Today I received my Estratto del Rigistro delle Nascite and Estratto per Riassunto del Registro degli Atti di Nascita in the mail from Borgetto Palermo.

I am very excited and want to let everyone who has applied in Chicago know that my June appointment with the Italian Consulate resulted in success. Four months' time is not a long period to wait, and I hope this offers encouragement to those who are still seeking their Italian citizenship.

My next endeavor will be to visit the consulate to obtain my passport. If anyone has done that in Chicago, I would love to hear about the process.

Ciao,

Benito :D

corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian Citizenship--Success from Chicago and in Borgett

Postby corrado » 02 Nov 2009, 05:22

Congradulations Benito,
I had my appointment in August, so perhaps I will get a nice Christmas present! Good luck!

Benito512

Postby Benito512 » 02 Nov 2009, 23:52

Yes, Corrado, I do hope you receive notice soon from your commune.

If you applied in Chicago, and you have waited about three months, I think you can contact your commune. At least, that is how I discovered the news.

During my appointment with the consulate, the official registered me in AIRE and explained that I should wait three to six months before contacting Borgetto.

When I called last week, I was elated to hear the officer read my information to me. Then, I faxed the request for my estratti, and I received them within a week.

I send you a world of good fortune, Corrado.

Saluti da Benito :D

LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby LAROCCAMOM » 12 Nov 2009, 01:38

Benito,

Did you walk in and made an appointment in person at the Chicago consulate?

How far away was your appointment?
I ask because I live in Miami, but my mom lives in Illinois, and I might get a driver's license there if the appointments are sooner than a year away.

I made an appointment today at the Miami consulate and it's for November 4th, 2010.

Thank you for your help,

LAROCCAMOM

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Nov 2009, 02:31

LAROCCAMOM wrote:Benito,

Did you walk in and made an appointment in person at the Chicago consulate?

How far away was your appointment?
I ask because I live in Miami, but my mom lives in Illinois, and I might get a driver's license there if the appointments are sooner than a year away.

I made an appointment today at the Miami consulate and it's for November 4th, 2010.

Thank you for your help,

LAROCCAMOM

I saw your post in another forum and thought about responding to you there but this will do. :)

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? Your mom?

In truth, you do not need to "apply" at all. I would suggest that you let your mom apply in Chicago (probably the faster of the two consulates from what I have read) and once your mom's citizenship has been approved (fingers crossed!), all she needs to do is to file a belated registration of your birth (see this page). A week or two after she does that, you will be able to obtain your Italian passport. All done.

Benito512

Postby Benito512 » 12 Nov 2009, 02:40

LaRoccaMom, Johnny may have answered your question already; however, my experience was as follows: I had my appointment with the Italian Consulate in Chicago in June 2009. I believe my request for an appointment was made in April 2009.

My birth certificate from my Comune in Borgetto PA arrived two weeks ago, and today I walked into the consulate with my documents and the necessary forms to make my passport request.

I wish you great luck!

Benito :D

LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie

Postby LAROCCAMOM » 12 Nov 2009, 03:55

Thank you guys!!

We are doing this process through my GGF--GM--M--Me.
My GGF was born in 1897, moved to Buenos Aires in 1926 never became a national of Argentina, my GM was born in 1930, my mom in 1956 and me in 1981.

Thank you again!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”