Pietro Carswell (Casoli or Casuli) and Francesco Gennaro

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dalhousie

Pietro Carswell (Casoli or Casuli) and Francesco Gennaro

Postby dalhousie » 05 Nov 2009, 11:44

My GGrandfather was Peter Carswell (his known name in Scotland) also know as Caswell, Casuli, (Casoli - name when he died). In the registered birth of one of his sons Frances Ca(r)swell in 1893,I noticed that Francesco Gennaro was godfather. So when I did a search for the 1891 census that's when a Gennaro from Italy came up on the ship that was docked in Dundee.
Nothing ever comes up for my GG because of the spelling. So I wondered if I could view the names of crews, coming from Italy, in this period with a hope that my GG's name might appear (or something similar)?
Nobody in my family knows where my GG came from in Italy and I just wondered if he was a ship mate of Francesco? Maybe that's why he named one of his sons after him?

Any suggestions would be great

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Pietro Carswell (Casoli or Casuli) and Francesco Gennaro

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Nov 2009, 15:10

You might wish to try for the names in www.worldvitalrecords.com for names checks which are free and www.findmypast.com also free for name checks but I amnot sure about passenger lists since both are paying websites and can be initiallyhelpful for merry old. =Peter=
~Peter~

dalhousie

Postby dalhousie » 05 Nov 2009, 15:16

Thanks Peter, I'll try them although I think I am looking more for ship's crew than passenger. My GG seems to have disappeared for long periods over some time and the option I am looking at, at the moment, is that he might have been a seaman

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Nov 2009, 15:31

I went to www.findmypast.com and just put in Francesco Gennaro and seeking out the fewest numbers under that name up came Francesco Gennaro Braintree essex county Scotland which may be helpful to you. =Peter=
~Peter~

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Nov 2009, 16:20

I did a quick check of the www findmypast.com for Francesco Gennaro and came up with his town of residence at BAINTREE in Essex which I thought might prove helpful. Always selEct the smallest number when checking that website. =Peter=
~Peter~

dalhousie

Postby dalhousie » 05 Nov 2009, 16:26

Ok I'll give it a go...... although Braintree is in Essex which is England not Scotland. Ha Ha.... I know we're not as big over here as you guys in the States but believe me there is a big difference !!! It's like saying New York is in California :D

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Nov 2009, 16:45

I just gave you the address for the name and did not concern myself with the geography. The address I furnished is the only address I checked. There are others as well for you to research if you wish. =Peter=
~Peter~

dalhousie

Postby dalhousie » 06 Nov 2009, 12:11

Hi Peter
I'm sorry if that sounded ungrateful, it wasn't meant to....any help I can get is much appreciated
Thanks Again

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Nov 2009, 14:12

Dear Dalhousie...not to worry! I don't even know what I ate for breakfast this AM much less English geography! =Peter=
~Peter~

fothers1

Postby fothers1 » 19 Mar 2011, 23:37

Hi,

Pietro was my wives G grandfather. he is buried closed to us in Stirling and his grand daughters placed a plaque on his grave as it was unmarked when we located it. he died 1939 aged 99.

I have his death certificate and census data( hes not in it but his wife is + kids) we know nothing of his past and is likely to be have been a sailor apparently from genoa.. he did spend his time in Dundee but came through to stirling at some point to be with with his daughter. One of pietro's sons was james(bapt eugine) and he had 4 daughters of which 3 are still alive and one of them is my wives mother.

I have more details and let me know if interested and I'm sure my wives family are interested in this family link. I have a keen researcher and have many parts of my own family and my wives back to late 1700's.

Balianjo

Postby Balianjo » 01 Sep 2011, 14:23

Hi fothers1,

I've only just seen these postings, although I am in contact with dalhousie. Pietro may have been my GG Grandfather. I did get to Stirling & found the plaque you talk of.
I too have come to the conclusion that he was out of the country on census nights but never knew anything about Francesco. I know of Pietro's son James (Eugene)& some of his siblings but any more info would be great.

I have a feeling I may have met you or your wife at family funerals and would be delighted if you contacted me. Can you PM me & I can send you my email address.

Look forward to hearing from you, I have so many questions!!
balianjo :D

fothers1

Postby fothers1 » 03 Sep 2011, 00:42

Hi,
delighted you've seen this and been to the cemetary. What child of Pietro are you related from?
Send me your email address and I'm sure Gail and her family would like to catch up.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”