Honorary consul

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Honorary consul

Postby corrado » 15 Nov 2009, 03:53

If one lives in Atlanta, can they use the honarary consul in atlanta, or is it required to go all the way down to Miami to apply for citizenship by blood?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Honorary consul

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Nov 2009, 04:03

Perhaps a telephone call to the Honorary Consul would be appropriate. =Peter=
~Peter~

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 15 Nov 2009, 12:23

corrado wrote:If one lives in Atlanta, can they use the honarary consul in atlanta, or is it required to go all the way down to Miami to apply for citizenship by blood?

The only thing the honorary counsel might be able to do is to accept the package of documents from you and forward them to the Miami consulate.

Ultimately, you will need to sit with the citizenship officer in Miami and go over your documents one-by-one. Unless you are an extremely rare case, the officer will find things which require explanation, ammendment, or are simply missing. I have heard of this being done over the telephone by one consulate (not Miami), but I would think this would put the applicant at a distinct disadvantage.

On my second visit to the New York City consulate, I was given a new list of items which needed to be "fixed". I was a bit annoyed since I felt that each of these things could have been mentioned during my first visit but were not. When told I would have to return to the consulate yet again, I made the mistake of saying, "But I have to come all the way from Northwestern Connecticut. It is an all-day trip for me and I will have to take another day off work!"

I cannot begin to describe the citizenship officer's appall at this comment. It was obvious she felt that I should be more than willing to travel to the ends of the earth, numerous times if necessary, in order to obtain recognition of my Italian citizenship.

So, of course, I made the trip and my documents were finally submitted. A few months later, I made the trip yet again to submit my passport application (NYC requires firt-time passports be done in person).

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Nov 2009, 16:15

Complicating the process can lead to more problems..keep it as simple as possible with your head down and apologizing for taking up so much of her time with your erroneously prepared documents. Next time you show up bring along a small box of cookies for the "office" =peter=
~Peter~

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 15 Nov 2009, 23:09

Thank you all. it seems there is no escape from a trip to Maimi.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 16 Nov 2009, 12:44

Why are you so surprised? Italian bureaucracy is well known. One can spend an entire morning here paying bills and mailing letters at the Post Office.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 16 Nov 2009, 15:30

Trip to Miami ? Hey you never know! =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”