Italian American dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

Italian American dual citizenship

Postby Squigy » 15 Nov 2009, 22:42

Would this qualify me for dual citizenship?

My great great grandfather, Giuseppe Maietta, was born in Italy on Oct. 24 1880 and came to America in 1902. In 1909 he had my great grandfather, and was naturalized in 1915. I don't think my great grandpa ever renounced his citizenship. How many greats is the cut off? Would my niece qualify, or is she too far down the line? Also, I don't have a birth record for my great great grandpa's wife (also born in Italy) Would I need this, or do I qualify because I have records for Giuseppe?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Italian American dual citizenship

Postby Squigy » 15 Nov 2009, 22:58

One more thing, my great grandfather's daughter (my grandmother) was born in 1943 in America (before 1948). Does that disqualify me?
My Italian surnames:

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Nov 2009, 01:30

Squigy wrote:One more thing, my great grandfather's daughter (my grandmother) was born in 1943 in America (before 1948). Does that disqualify me?

There is no limit to the number of generations you can reach back, however you must go back to an actual citizen of Italy - a country which did not exist prior to 1861. As an example, if your ancestor left Sicily in 1850 and died prior to 1861, then although you most definitely have Sicilian roots, you do not have Italain roots.

Italian women could not pass citizenship to their offspring prior to January 1, 1948 when a change was made to the Italian constitution. Your grandmother did inherit citizenship from her father and passed that citizenship to all of her children born on or after 1/1/1948.

You apparently have your great-great-grandfather's birth certificate? Good - try writing to the comune where he was born and request his marriage certificate (may as well get an extra copy of the birth certificate also). The marriage certificate will list his wife's full name and place of birth; you can then write again for her birth certificate. Go to this website for help writing letters in Italian.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 16 Nov 2009, 03:55

Thanks, Johnny. Giuseppe and his wife, Giovannina D'Andrea, were married in the U.S., and a big problem is that Giovannina was adopted. I could get Giuseppe and Jennie's (Giovannina) marriage record but, I'm worried it wouldn't have her birth name. I don't yet have Giuseppe's birth record but, I have enough info to get it very soon.
My Italian surnames:

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 16 Nov 2009, 09:47

Which consulate would you be applying through? Some insist on having all documents from both sides of the line, others are happy with documents only for direct ascendants. When I submitted my application to NYC in mid 2008, they were not interested in seeing my mother's or grandmother's documents. I applied myself -> father -> Italian grandfather.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 17 Nov 2009, 04:27

johnnyonthespot wrote:Which consulate would you be applying through? Some insist on having all documents from both sides of the line, others are happy with documents only for direct ascendants. When I submitted my application to NYC in mid 2008, they were not interested in seeing my mother's or grandmother's documents. I applied myself -> father -> Italian grandfather.

Well, I'm not planning on applying for a good while yet. It all depends on where I am when I do. If I stay where I am now, then it will be at the Embassy in Washington D.C. Do you think they would require Giovannina's birth record? One more thing, how do I prove my great grandfather didn't renounce his citizenship? I highly doubt he did but, what would he have to do to renounce it? Could he go to war for the U.S. without renouncing his Italian citizenship? I don't believe my great grandfather went to war but, I think his brothers did.
My Italian surnames:

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 17 Nov 2009, 10:16

Squigy wrote:One more thing, how do I prove my great grandfather didn't renounce his citizenship? I highly doubt he did but, what would he have to do to renounce it? Could he go to war for the U.S. without renouncing his Italian citizenship? I don't believe my great grandfather went to war but, I think his brothers did.

Thankfully, there is nothing to prove; you sign a statement which says to the best of your knowledge he never renounced. See this form.

Someone familliar with the requirements of the Washington Embassy will have to chime in regarding their documentation requirements.

Squigy
Master
Master

Postby Squigy » 17 Nov 2009, 22:51

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Squigy wrote:One more thing, how do I prove my great grandfather didn't renounce his citizenship? I highly doubt he did but, what would he have to do to renounce it? Could he go to war for the U.S. without renouncing his Italian citizenship? I don't believe my great grandfather went to war but, I think his brothers did.

Thankfully, there is nothing to prove; you sign a statement which says to the best of your knowledge he never renounced. See this form.

Someone familliar with the requirements of the Washington Embassy will have to chime in regarding their documentation requirements.

Thanks, Johnny. You answered all my questions. I would think larger consulates and embassies (such as NY and D.C.) wouldn't care much about Giovannina's birth record. I'll contact them and find out.
My Italian surnames:

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”