Document Translations

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rciaccio

Document Translations

Postby rciaccio » 17 Nov 2009, 16:58

I am going to attempt to translate my documents myself. My question is, does every little detail need to be translated on the document to include those areas that are not filled in, as well as the very small fine print?

Thanks.

Ray

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Document Translations

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Nov 2009, 17:13

Just what documents are you talking about? =Peter=
~Peter~

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jwazevedo » 17 Nov 2009, 18:09

Are these your U.S. vital records to be used for recognition of Italian citizenship?

When I was doing mine, I read (somewhere) that the closer the translated document looks to the original, the more likely it will be understood at the consulate. So I laid everything out just like the original for each document and translated all the bits and pieces. That said, I realize that what the consulate needs is the basic information on the forms. In the end, there is no "right" way. Just think of someone reading through your package, and give it your best shot.

Good luck,
Jerry

rciaccio

Postby rciaccio » 17 Nov 2009, 19:38

Great, thanks for the responses. Yes this is in regards to the vital records of birth, death and marriage certificates. I am doing just that, by trying to mimic the original format as best I can. It is time consuming though.

Thanks again,

Ray

rciaccio

Postby rciaccio » 18 Nov 2009, 03:05

I have yet another question pertaining to translations. When I requested my grandparents marriage certificate, I received three pages. An "Affidavit for License to Marry", a "Marriage License" and a "Marriage Certificate". All three were attached with the Apostille. Do I need to translate all three or just the Marriage certificate?

Ray

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”