Making Progress

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JScanio
Rookie
Rookie

Making Progress

Postby JScanio » 23 Nov 2009, 01:15

I am so happy that my Husband and I are finally making some progress in obtaining copies of the documents required.

It wasn't an easy process I will tell you that.

As my husband has no living relatives with the dates for his paternal side we really had no information or help.

We flew to Mendoza, Argentina and visited the Cemetery where his grandparents were buried and retrieved their date of death.

From there we had to wait in line outside of the Registro Civil from 4am but finally got in to request the certificates.

At first we were having no luck as they couldn't find any of the certificates (Grandparent's Death and Marriage and Father's Birth Certificates). Then they eventually found his grandparents death certificates but told us sorry they couldn't find the others. We begged them to look again as we traveled all the way from the Caribbean.

While they were searching I was reading through the death certificates and found many different Barrios referred in them. After a lot of detective work on our side we managed to pick out more information for the Registro and finally 6.5 hours later we left with all of the certificates in hand!!

We had to run across the town in order to get the certificates legalized and apostilled in order to drop them off at the translators by 1PM so we could get them back the next morning to take to the Italian Consulate in Mendoza to get stamped.

It was all such a huge rush and hassle, but we managed everything except receiving the stamped copies of the documents from the Consulate as they need 2 weeks to stamp them. Luckily we have cousins who work down the road and will pick them up next week and fedex them to us.

It was a long tiring and frustrating process as we learned everything as we went and had very little time (2 days), but in the end the experience felt very rewarding and we learned so much about my husbands heritage.

Now we just need documents from Chile and Italy and we are all set to go!

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Making Progress

Postby CowryShells » 23 Nov 2009, 01:55

Congratulations to you! Best wishes for continued success!

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Re: Making Progress

Postby Mulé » 25 Nov 2009, 14:20

Congratulations, sounds like tons of fun detective work. I think that is the best course of action if you can afford the time/expense to do it. Going first hand and getting the documents is so much better than relying on mailed in requests IMO. Best of luck with your remaining documents.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”