another goofy off the way question....

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
corrado
Elite
Elite

another goofy off the way question....

Postby corrado » 24 Nov 2009, 04:07

I had my appointment and my daughters went with me. I have all the paperwork for my son too but he refused to go. My quesetion , is it that he can only apply for one year after I am recoginized as an Italian citizen. After that does he loose his right to Italian citizenship?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: another goofy off the way question....

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Nov 2009, 09:15

corrado wrote:I had my appointment and my daughters went with me. I have all the paperwork for my son too but he refused to go. My quesetion , is it that he can only apply for one year after I am recoginized as an Italian citizen. After that does he loose his right to Italian citizenship?

There is no limit whatsoever, so long as Italy does not change the underlying law which allows citizenship jure sanguinis.

When he decides the time is right, he only needs to do the same thing you did - provide documentation to prove that he is the offspring of an Italain citizen. Of course, he will have a much easier time of it, since all he would need to do is produce your Italian passport and possibly obtain a copy of your Italian birth certificate. In other words, he will only need to reach back a single generation.

Why does he not want to go with you? Because he is not ready to become an Italian citizen, or because the appointment comes at an inconvenient time for him? If the latter, than please note this: once your own citizenship has been approved, you can simply use an AIRE registration form to register his birth and his citizenship is automatically granted. I did this recently for my 24 year-old son; within 10 days he had a letter inviting him to come to the consulate and apply for his passport. See the section titled, "HOW TO REGISTER A CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH" at the New York consulate's sitefor details.

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Re: another goofy off the way question....

Postby Mulé » 25 Nov 2009, 14:44

johnnyonthespot wrote:There is no limit whatsoever, so long as Italy does not change the underlying law which allows citizenship jure sanguinis.

Not to be a scaremonger, but I have been following a thread on another forum which discusses this exact topic. Apparently just recently (Nov. 21st 2009), there has been talk in Italian political circles off abolishing "jure sanguinis" and moving towards "jure soli" like the rest of the EU.

http://expattalk.com/groupee/forums/a/t ... 101653/p/1

I hope it doesn't happen, but just wanted to give you all a heads up...

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”