Death Certificate Name Discrepancy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Death Certificate Name Discrepancy

Postby SChiarini » 02 Dec 2009, 20:23

Hi all

I am claiming dual citizenship through
GGF---> GM---> F----> Me

My GGF's name is Francesco Proscia & My GGM's name is Angelina Ferrante.

However, on his death certificate and on my GM birth certificate they are listed as Frank Proscia and Lena Proscia.

I was wondering if this will be an issue when I go to the consulate- I had them do a search at USCIS and NARA under Francesco Proscia because thats what he filed his Declaration of Intention under. However, the address is the same on all those papers.

Any way to get them amended in case it might be a problem??

Thank you kindly for your all your help so far! :)

mler
Master
Master

Re: Death Certificate Name Discrepancy

Postby mler » 03 Dec 2009, 02:12

Much depends on where you will be applying and where the documents originated. The death certificates are the least important of all the documents because they have no real bearing on eligibility and because the information is provided by a grieving relative who may not have accurate information.

There were several errors on my gf's birth certificate that the consulate ignored, but that was several years ago, and some consulates today are looking at documents with a greater degree of scrutiny.

What consulate will you use, and where do the documents originate?

SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SChiarini » 03 Dec 2009, 06:34

I'm applying at the New York consulate, I've heard various stories about them.. some good, some not so good.

All of the death certificates are from Brooklyn, New York area - except for my GGF's birth certificate - which is from Italy (which has his real full name on it)

**I also realized that the census report has him listed as Frank too. I'm praying this won't be a problem - because of the address. There were so many Frank Proscia's - which is why I had a hard time trying to locate his papers, or lack there of at first, because I searched under Frank - and he applied as Francesco.

I just have a feeling they will find these little things as a problem. Guess I'm going to have to go in there and do my best to convince them it really is the same person :) I have about a year to prepare! haha

criscal

Postby criscal » 03 Dec 2009, 18:28

I had to correct my GGF's death cert in PA. A letter to the Funeral Home and then a form with their update sent to the state for correction. Check with the NYC Health Dept to find out how to correct a death cert in the boroughs. If it is relatively easy you may want to just do it.

Keep in mind also that 'Frank' is not an italian name so they may let that slide. I had a similar issue with Vincenzo vs. Vincent and Chicago was alright with it given the other supporting docs I had.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 03 Dec 2009, 19:30

The website that might prove helpful for document correction for NYC is
www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/home.shtml
At the bottom click the CONTACT US button and beneath that type in ithe search " DOCUMENT CORRECTION". Click on that and take it from there. =Peter=
~Peter~

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 03 Dec 2009, 20:46

I did the auto-certification in chicago and they accepted the americanization fo the first names. I didn't amend the death cert.

SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SChiarini » 25 Jan 2010, 18:50

Hi all-

I just realized I may have trouble with my father as well. On his birth certificate his legal name is Stephan - but he uses Stephen on his marriage license, my birth certificate etc

Do you think this will pose much of a problem?

I know this sounds like a silly question- just trying to cover all the bases :)

SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Postby SChiarini » 25 Jan 2010, 19:11

*****I also forgot to mention that on the 1930's NARA census- my GGF name is listed as "Frank" as well.

Like criscal said- Frank is his americanized name. Hoping they may let these little things slide.

Anyone have any advice/similar issues or has dealt recently with the NY consulate?

Thanks!

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 25 Jan 2010, 20:59

My experience in NY is not very recent, but when I was there, they accepted a true translation of an Italian name (example: Giovanni/John). They required amendments for modified names (example: Carmela/Carla).

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”