Is this rule accurate for dual citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Is this rule accurate for dual citizenship?

Postby DeFilippis78 » 06 Dec 2009, 21:06

I just read this on www.myitalianfamily.com

PLEASE NOTE: ANCESTORS NATURALIZED BEFORE JUNE 14, 1912 CANNOT TRANSMIT CITIZENSHIP (EVEN TO CHILDREN BORN BEFORE THEIR NATURALIZATION)

Is this right? If so all my research is for nothing because my great great grandfathers naturalization was 1910

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Is this rule accurate for dual citizenship?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 06 Dec 2009, 23:12

DeFilippis78 wrote:I just read this on www.myitalianfamily.com

PLEASE NOTE: ANCESTORS NATURALIZED BEFORE JUNE 14, 1912 CANNOT TRANSMIT CITIZENSHIP (EVEN TO CHILDREN BORN BEFORE THEIR NATURALIZATION)

Is this right? If so all my research is for nothing because my great great grandfathers naturalization was 1910

Alicia

This thread may shed some light on the topic.

I have seen it suggested that you request a record search from USCIS in the hope that they will come back with a "No Records Found" report and thus claim that your ancestor never naturalized (even though you may know/feel that that is untrue).

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 07 Dec 2009, 02:00

I read that thread over. So I guess its basically saying that that is a rule and should be followed but some consulates either dont follow it or arent aware of it. Or if you have some connections in Italy or willing to pay a little more you can by pass that law? Is that basically the gist of it?

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 07 Dec 2009, 02:31

DeFilippis78 wrote:I read that thread over. So I guess its basically saying that that is a rule and should be followed but some consulates either dont follow it or arent aware of it. Or if you have some connections in Italy or willing to pay a little more you can by pass that law? Is that basically the gist of it?

Alicia

My only knowledge of this issue comes from what I have read on boards such as this one and the one previously linked to, but I would say that your analysis is on the mark.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”