Unsure of next step for Nat records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
aruffalo

Unsure of next step for Nat records

Postby aruffalo » 09 Dec 2009, 02:03

Ok, so I've discovered that it looks as though my gggrandfather submitted a declaration of intention to naturalize back in 1919 but there is no record that he actually went through with it. So my question is where do I go from here?

The petition was filed in a Circuit Court which means I can't request anything from NARA (it directs me to the state court, but I have no idea what I should be requesting from them), and I am a bit confused about what I should be requesting from USCIS. I think the next step is to make a records request via USCIS online, but I want to check before I spend money on something I don't need.

Hoping the fantastic experts on here can give me a bit of help :)

VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Unsure of next step for Nat records

Postby VaDeb » 09 Dec 2009, 03:02

USCIS has a record of all naturalizations that occurred after 1906, regardless of the court.

Debbie

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 11 Dec 2009, 13:37

Submit your USCIS genealogy request online.
https://genealogy.uscis.dhs.gov/

aruffalo

Postby aruffalo » 12 Dec 2009, 00:48

Thank you so much! I figured it was as easy as that, but just wanted to ask :-)

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 12 Dec 2009, 00:59

Good luck. Should be fairly straight forward. Get the index search, then if records are found request the specific record. No records, you submit for the certificate of non-existence of naturalization. I think the new responses from the index search explain how to obtain that now, if not, it is mentioned in many threads if you need it... :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 12 Dec 2009, 18:06

VaDeb wrote:USCIS has a record of all naturalizations that occurred after 1906, regardless of the court.

Debbie

What if a person was naturalized before 1906? Where do you get the info. The state my great grandfather lived in doesnt have it. NARA doesnt have it. They said the county would have it.

ALicia

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 12 Dec 2009, 18:49

DeFilippis78 wrote:
VaDeb wrote:USCIS has a record of all naturalizations that occurred after 1906, regardless of the court.

Debbie

What if a person was naturalized before 1906? Where do you get the info. The state my great grandfather lived in doesnt have it. NARA doesnt have it. They said the county would have it.

ALicia

Go to the county courthouse for the county in question. You should be able to search their records and get something notarized there in either case, you find the document or you find that "no records" exist.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”