Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
Muniched
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:17

Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby Muniched » 13 Dec 2009, 20:29

All of my grandparents emigrated to the US around the turn of the century. The only record I have from my paternal Grandfather, who I never knew as he passed away before I was born, is his death certificate which indicates that he was born in San Lorenzo om April 24, 1881. (which San Lorenzo I don't know)
My father who also passed away this year was born on Oct 12, 1917 in New Haven, Connecticut. My dad was the 6th of nine children all born in the US so my Grandfather must have arrived around 1900. How can I most quickly find out if my grandfather was naturalized before my father was born. I have been a resident of Europe for over 35 years and in the meantime am also a property owner in Italy. Will that give me a few extra credits? Any information I can get will be appreciated.

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby vj » 13 Dec 2009, 20:37

Hello!
We'll be happy to help you look for US records that may show naturalization status:
ship manifest, military registration card(s), census records, naturalization records, etc

Do these records belong to your father?
Thank you, Valarie

SSDI
Name: Edward J. Parente
SSN: 040-03-xxxx
Last Residence: 06450 Meriden, New Haven, Connecticut
Born: 12 Oct 1917 Died: 29 Jun 2009
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951)

Obituary extract
MERIDEN - Edward J. Parente, 91..
Born in New Haven, on Oct. 12, 1917, he was the son of the late Joseph and Rose (LaVorgna) Parente...

User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5229
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Dec 2009, 21:01

vj wrote:Hello!
We'll be happy to help you look for US records that may show naturalization status:
ship manifest, military registration card(s), census records, naturalization records, etc

Do these records belong to your father?
Thank you, Valarie

SSDI
Name: Edward J. Parente
SSN: 040-03-xxxx
Last Residence: 06450 Meriden, New Haven, Connecticut
Born: 12 Oct 1917 Died: 29 Jun 2009
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951)

Obituary extract
MERIDEN - Edward J. Parente, 91..
Born in New Haven, on Oct. 12, 1917, he was the son of the late Joseph and Rose (LaVorgna) Parente...


Alright, Valarie - I give up. How did you know who you were looking for? Or, did you just search by date of death in New Haven county?

User avatar
Muniched
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:17

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby Muniched » 13 Dec 2009, 21:14

Valarie,that certainly is my father you've found. When you say do the records belong to him...do you mean the records concerning my grandfather? If so the answer is no! I just got my grandfather's certificate of death from one of my many cousins.

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12493
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby suanj » 13 Dec 2009, 21:24

vj wrote:Hello!
We'll be happy to help you look for US records that may show naturalization status:
ship manifest, military registration card(s), census records, naturalization records, etc

Do these records belong to your father?
Thank you, Valarie

SSDI
Name: Edward J. Parente
SSN: 040-03-xxxx
Last Residence: 06450 Meriden, New Haven, Connecticut
Born: 12 Oct 1917 Died: 29 Jun 2009
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951)

Obituary extract
MERIDEN - Edward J. Parente, 91..
Born in New Haven, on Oct. 12, 1917, he was the son of the late Joseph and Rose (LaVorgna) Parente...

Hi vj,
this is the 1900 census of Edward Parente father (Giuseppe Parente):
1900 United States Federal Census
about Giuseppe Parente
Name: Giuseppe Parente
Home in 1900: New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut
Age: 21
Birth Date: Mar 1879
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Gender: Male
Immigration Year: 1893
Relationship to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Antonio
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Benedetta
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Marital Status: Single
Residence : New Haven City, New Haven, Connecticut
Occupation: View on Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Antonio Parente 62
Benedetta Parente 53
Giuseppe Parente 21
Nicolina Parente 16
Assanta Parente 13
Michele Parente 10
Paolo Parchia 20


well by WWI draft registration card of Michele Parente, brother of Giuseppe, well the birth town is SAN LORENZELLO, Benevento provinceand not San Lorenzo

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Michael Parente
Name: Michael Parente
City: New Haven
County: New Haven
State: Connecticut
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 13 May 1890
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1561917
DraftBoard: 5

http://img513.imageshack.us/i/micheleparente.jpg/
by genealogic tree on line the birth date is a bit different:
Joseph Parente
Evers Family Tree
Birth: 24 Apr 1878 - Italy
Marriage: 1902
Death: May 1942
Spouse: Rose Lavorgna

however for birth certificate of Giuseppe Parente, the office address is:

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via P. Sasso
82030 San Lorenzello (BN)
Italy

best regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby vj » 13 Dec 2009, 21:41

johnnyonthespot wrote: How did you know who you were looking for? Or, did you just search by date of death in New Haven county?


Hi Carmine :D ,
yes, I used the birth date and location and got lucky
Valarie

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby vj » 13 Dec 2009, 21:43

Muniched wrote:Valarie,that certainly is my father you've found. When you say do the records belong to him...do you mean the records concerning my grandfather? If so the answer is no! I just got my grandfather's certificate of death from one of my many cousins.


Thank you so much for the update!
Valarie

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby vj » 13 Dec 2009, 21:44

Hello suanj :D !
Great record finds
Valarie
---

suanj wrote:... by genealogic tree on line the birth date is a bit different:
Joseph Parente
Evers Family Tree
Birth: 24 Apr 1878 - Italy
Marriage: 1902
Death: May 1942
Spouse: Rose Lavorgna ...


here's the 1918 WWI Draft Registration Card with the 24 April 1878 birth date.
It appears that Giuseppe Parente was a naturalized citizen by 12 Sep 1918

This 1920 census indicates that Giuseppe Parente arrived abt 1892 and became a naturalized citizen abt 1909.
===

from the Italian Citizenship Message Board

Qualifying for Italian Citizenship Jure Sanguinis

To qualify for citizenship through ancestry, the applicant and his/her ascendants must meet the following basic criteria:

- A child is born to an Italian citizen parent or a parent with the right to Italian citizenship "jure sanguinis". Henceforth this parent will be known as the Italian parent.

- If the child was born before August 16, 1992, the Italian parent must not have taken another citizenship by naturalization at the time of the child's birth.

- If the mother is the Italian parent, the child must have been born on or after January 1, 1948


We could look for naturalization records for your mother's family - if you were born after 1 Jan 1948
---

obituary extract:

Record-Journal (Meriden, CT)
4 January 1999
MERIDEN
Mary L. Parente ... wife of Edward J. Parente ... Mr. and Mrs. Parente were married in March of 1944 ...
Born in Meriden, 1 Jan 1914, she was the daughter of the late Giusto and Maria Fontanella Panciera


for reference, this may be your grandfather Giusto Panciera's 1918 WWI Draft Registration Card

on this 1920 census it appears that he may have filed his 1st papers for naturalization

User avatar
Muniched
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:17

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby Muniched » 14 Dec 2009, 09:53

My mother's father was Giusto
I was born May 17,1949

User avatar
Muniched
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:17

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby Muniched » 14 Dec 2009, 09:55

You people are unbelievable....where can we meet!

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby vj » 14 Dec 2009, 17:57

Muniched wrote:You people are unbelievable....where can we meet!


I'm so glad we could locate some records for you!
You can find us here most of the time :wink: .
Since you have both grandfather's birth dates and locations, you may want to request copies of their naturalization documents next.
Valarie

USCIS
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

or NE Region NARA (Boston)
http://www.archives.gov/northeast/bosto ... ralization

User avatar
Muniched
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:17

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby Muniched » 15 Dec 2009, 08:19

Thanks again for your help. We have contacted the national archives and expect to get results within the next three months. What we will probably need help with is getting the birth and marriage documentation for my maternal Grandparents from Forno di Zoldo. I think we will probably contact suanj and hire her to get these for us. First though we have to find out if my maternal grandfather was naturalized before 1914, the year my mother was born.

User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5229
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby johnnyonthespot » 15 Dec 2009, 11:27

Muniched wrote:Thanks again for your help. We have contacted the national archives and expect to get results within the next three months. What we will probably need help with is getting the birth and marriage documentation for my maternal Grandparents from Forno di Zoldo. I think we will probably contact suanj and hire her to get these for us. First though we have to find out if my maternal grandfather was naturalized before 1914, the year my mother was born.



I am sure Raffaella won't mind my pointing out that you can likely obtain these documents on your own at no cost by simply writing to Forno di Zoldo. A form letter generator such as this one can be used; send your letter to the following address:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Forno di Zoldo
via Roma, 26
32012 Forno di Zoldo (BL)
ITALY

User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 12493
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Gaining Italian Citizenship for myself and my children

Postby suanj » 15 Dec 2009, 14:18

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Muniched wrote:Thanks again for your help. We have contacted the national archives and expect to get results within the next three months. What we will probably need help with is getting the birth and marriage documentation for my maternal Grandparents from Forno di Zoldo. I think we will probably contact suanj and hire her to get these for us. First though we have to find out if my maternal grandfather was naturalized before 1914, the year my mother was born.



I am sure Raffaella won't mind my pointing out that you can likely obtain these documents on your own at no cost by simply writing to Forno di Zoldo. A form letter generator such as this one can be used; send your letter to the following address:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Forno di Zoldo
via Roma, 26
32012 Forno di Zoldo (BL)
ITALY

Johnny: no problem; Muniched contacted and I offer a guidance so no problem for me. Thank you.
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH


Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 7 guests