Notation on a ship's manifest??

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Notation on a ship's manifest??

Postby jwazevedo » 16 Dec 2009, 21:07

My grandfather's brother, Giovanni Donato Bordessa, came to the States in March of 1913, on his way to his brother's place in California. In looking at the ship's manifest for him, there is a notation that I at first thought said "With Friend", but in looking at it again, I think may be something else, with a word below and some numbers to the right. Here is the image:

http://img519.imageshack.us/i/donatonotation.jpg/

Would anyone familiar with notations on manifests care to speculate?

Grazie,
Jerry

vj
Master
Master

Re: Notation on a ship's manifest??

Postby vj » 16 Dec 2009, 21:09

Jerry
Best guess
With ward, manifest page 21, line 13
Valarie

jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Notation on a ship's manifest??

Postby jwazevedo » 16 Dec 2009, 22:14

Bull's eye the first time, Valarie. Nice interpretation. I went to page 21 of the manifest, line 13, and found Maria Pozni of Garzeno, Italy, going to the Bodega Bay area to see a "Friend Giuseppe Albini". That's really Maria Pozzi. The Pozzis and Albinis and Bordessas are all inter-related in Garzeno, and I'll be looking into the connections for this Maria Pozzi.

I appreciate your help. Now I know what those two-part numbers mean on the manifests.

Grazie mille,
Jerry

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”