Questions regarding applying for dual-citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
redsteve

Questions regarding applying for dual-citizenship

Postby redsteve » 19 Dec 2009, 20:11

Objective: Applying for dual-citizenship

Case: Paternal Great Grandfather was Italian.
Consulate: Los Angeles, CA, USA

The Dates:
Great Grandfather's Birth: March 7th, 1899
Immigrated Dec 6th, 1912
Grandfathers birth: Feb 18th, 1922
Petition for Naturalization: October 15th, 1924
Documents I currently possess: Birth, Marriage and Death paternal great-grandfather, as well as his official certificates of Naturalization and petition; Birth, Marriage and Death paternal grandfather; Birth and Marriage of Father; my Birth;
These are all in long form certified or apostilled documents, not yet translated.

I have a few questions regarding the application process. First, I'd like to ask how necessary it is, when addressing direct paternal line cases such as this, to provide the maternal side birth/death certificates. Some consulates seem to want it, and some do not. The next question relates to name changes. My great grandfather was born Achille Gaetano Oddo, but his name varies on forms between that, Achilles Giliberto, Achilles Gilbert, then finally to Gilbert Oddo. My grandfather was born Achilles, but his name also ends up being Gilbert as well. Because these are slight variations/anglicizations, does this still generally need to be amended? Further, there is one date mistake, on the death certificate of great-grandfather it lists his birthdate as 3/7/98 instead of 3/7/99. Does this require amendment generally? I guess the overall question is, how nit-picky, in your experiences, do the consulates seem to be about such issues?

Secondly, given where I'm at with the document collect/certification process now, can anyone comment/speculate on how much time it will take to complete these final steps? Assuming I take all documents I have now to the Consulate, turn them in, how long am I looking at until receipt of Italian Passport? This would be very helpful in determining when I should leave for Italy.

Finally, I've spoken to a few friends who've processed their entire citizenship process in Rome, Italy. I speak fluent Italian, and apparently upon submitting these required documents, all translated into Italian, to the Comune in which you'd like to immigrate to, you are automatically granted a permit to stay in Italy until the completion of the process. Is there anyone who has done this, or would be willing to comment on this?

Thank you all so much in advance for your help, this site is an invaluable resource for those interested in undertaking this process!

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Questions regarding applying for dual-citizenship

Postby CowryShells » 20 Dec 2009, 12:56

A relative went through the LA consulate a few years ago and needed to provide birth, marriage and death certificates for both the Italian and non-Italian spouses. In addition, if these documents were not from Italy they needed to have apostilles and translations. However, it would be helpful for you to contact the consulate directly to be certain of their current requirements.

Sorry, I can't answer your other questions.

redsteve

Postby redsteve » 28 Dec 2009, 20:46

Does anyone else have any help regarding the other questions? How strict are they with first name anglicizations? how long once all the documents are turn in does should it take to process? anyone processed their citizenship documents in italy? thanks!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 29 Dec 2009, 13:11

redsteve wrote:Does anyone else have any help regarding the other questions? How strict are they with first name anglicizations? how long once all the documents are turn in does should it take to process? anyone processed their citizenship documents in italy? thanks!

As to your last question, you can find many people in the Expats In Italy forum who are in the process or have already completed an application in Italy.

Individual consulates and consulate workers vary as to their concern over anglicizations, misspellings, and date discrepancies. In general, the consulates which had been lax in this area seem to be tightening their standards. Apparently fraudulent documents/applications had been on the increase and new rules were issuedto get things back under control.

Processing times also vary both by consulate and complexity of individual cases. Perhaps some recent LA applicants can address this question.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”