Am I doing things out of order?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Am I doing things out of order?

Postby DeFilippis78 » 29 Dec 2009, 00:10

I currently am seeing if there is a link to dual cit. with 2 different great grandfathers. Im waiting for results on an index search to see if they were in fact ever naturalized. This takes 3 months supposedly.

After 3 months they contact you saying they found something and then you request records. How long does that take?

Im not sure if in the mean time I should be acquiring other documents. I figured why bother with the effort and money because its possible they were naturalized before their children and I wont be eligible. So Im just kind of sitting around waiting for the naturalization dates.

Is that all I should be doing? I figured not to go ahead because it depends on naturalization date. But Ive read of some people saying that was the LAST document they had to get

Alicia

misbris
Master
Master

Re: Am I doing things out of order?

Postby misbris » 29 Dec 2009, 00:29

Alicia,

It will cost you nothing for Italian birth and marriage certificates. They would be interesting documents to have anyway. I would get those while you are waiting. Then you can go after American documents when you know if you are eligible.

Happy New Year.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 11 Jan 2010, 18:23

Ive seen on some websites that if they find info they do charge you for the documents. But how do you pay them...I mean what form. Anyone know?

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Jan 2010, 18:44

DeFilippis78 wrote:Ive seen on some websites that if they find info they do charge you for the documents. But how do you pay them...I mean what form. Anyone know?

Alicia

I think most people's experience has been that comuni do not charge for birth/marriage/death certificates. Family History (certificato di stato di famiglia storico) on the other hand can be quite expensive (tens or even hundreds of euro) as they require a great deal of research and time.

Provincial archives generally *do* charge for things like military records, however the charge is usually quite small - a few euro to cover the cost of photocopies and postage. Last time I had one of these, I dug a 5 euro note (left over from a past trip) out of my change basket, wrapped it in aluminum foil, and mailed it off with a note that said "Tenere il resto!" (Keep the change!).

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 11 Jan 2010, 18:47

Oh good. So maybe Ill be pleasantly suprised and find the info sitting in my mailbox with nothing left to be done on that end :)

Alicia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”