Requests for Birth/marriage certificates from Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Requests for Birth/marriage certificates from Italy

Post by Drew927 »

Can anyone suggest a method for requesting documents from Italy. I have written formal requests in Italian but I am not sure if I should send them via courier or standard postal service. Should I include a return envelope with postage paid? I would appreciate any input on the subject.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Requests for Birth/marriage certificates from Italy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Drew927 wrote:Can anyone suggest a method for requesting documents from Italy. I have written formal requests in Italian but I am not sure if I should send them via courier or standard postal service. Should I include a return envelope with postage paid? I would appreciate any input on the subject.
Which comuni? Some allow you to email or fax requests, others not so much. :)

I have had great success with simply mailing via regular post numerous requests for documents (several generations) to my maternal grandparent's comune. On the other hand, I have had no luck whatsoever with my paternal grandparent's comune no matter what method I tried.

Regardless of transmission method, many of us like the form letter generators found at this site. I would not include return envelope or any money unless it is specifically requested by the comune.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

I'm sending requests to Melizzano BN, Dugenta BN, Valle di Maddeloni CE and Napoli NA. Perhaps I should try my luck and fax them over first and see what happens.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Since Naples is such a large city I would recommend a letter with at least an addressed return envelope.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
lptafe

Post by lptafe »

I am asking which type of office for birth, marriage records do I go to in person when I visit Italy.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

lptafe wrote:I am asking which type of office for birth, marriage records do I go to in person when I visit Italy.
These records are maintained by the Ufficio della Stato Civile, the Office of Civil Status. In a small comune, this will be just one more job handled by the clerks in the city hall/municipal office. In larger cities, it will be an office within, or even a separate building from, the primary "city hall".