quesiton of opinion

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
corrado
Elite
Elite

quesiton of opinion

Postby corrado » 05 Jan 2010, 22:21

My greatgradfather and grandfather (age 5) came to the us in 1891. My greadgrandfather bought fake papers from the alderman her in Chicago.
They always thought they were official citizens but in reality never were. I had to amend my gradfathers death certificate to show he was an Italian citizen. I have the letter of no record from Washington for my grandfather and had the apointment on Aug 6th.

Since then the letter of no record arrived for my great grandfather. I have all the birth certs and marraige, excpet the Illinois death certificates which I could easly get. I have non official ones from the mormons.

The appointment went fine they accepted everyting, the only thing that bothered me was the census report showed that theywere "Na"

OK so my question, do I get the last death certs and contact the consulate with all this stuff or just wait? They may not ask for it. Or my file just stuck in a pile somewhere......

Thanks

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: quesiton of opinion

Postby johnnyonthespot » 05 Jan 2010, 22:29

corrado wrote:My greatgradfather and grandfather (age 5) came to the us in 1891. My greadgrandfather bought fake papers from the alderman her in Chicago.
They always thought they were official citizens but in reality never were. I had to amend my gradfathers death certificate to show he was an Italian citizen. I have the letter of no record from Washington for my grandfather and had the apointment on Aug 6th.

Since then the letter of no record arrived for my great grandfather. I have all the birth certs and marraige, excpet the Illinois death certificates which I could easly get. I have non official ones from the mormons.

The appointment went fine they accepted everyting, the only thing that bothered me was the census report showed that theywere "Na"

OK so my question, do I get the last death certs and contact the consulate with all this stuff or just wait? They may not ask for it. Or my file just stuck in a pile somewhere......

Thanks

New York City requires death certificates for every deceased person in the direct line (and more recently maybe even the non-direct line as well). Are you suggesting that your consulate does not require death certificates?

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 05 Jan 2010, 22:34

Sorry that is not the question.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Jan 2010, 22:46

Poke them! Ask for update and when you may expect to hear. This will trigger off a response of some sort but hardly what you fear. Their response will set the tone for your next step or no step. =Peter=
~Peter~

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 05 Jan 2010, 22:50

Excellent, Thank You, I will send them and email. They were very clear they did not want phone calls.

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 05 Jan 2010, 23:37

It is crazy how they require these additional documents, like death certificates or even non-blood line birth/death certificates. If you are applying in Italy, they don't request those items. They don't even send that information to the Comune when they make the determination and register your birth, so I have been told. The only papers that get filed are your papers, which didn't make sense to me since there is no lineage at that point. Not sure what the Comune would do with the papers that of no concern to them, or even what the consulate does with these papers.

Procedura per il riconoscimento della cittadinanza italiana.

Le istanze di riconoscimento della cittadinanza italiana ex art. 1 della Legge 13 giugno 1912, n. 555 dovranno essere indirizzate al Sindaco del Comune italiano di residenza, ovvero al Console italiano nell’ambito della cui circoscrizione consolare risieda l’istante straniero originario italiano.

Le stesse dovranno essere corredate della seguente documentazione:

1) estratto dell’atto di nascita dell’avo italiano emigrato all’estero rilasciato dal Comune italiano ove egli nacque;

Italian birth certificate of immigrant through whom you are applying.
2) atti di nascita, muniti di traduzione ufficiale italiana, di tutti i suoi discendenti in linea retta, compreso quello della persona rivendicante il possesso della cittadinanza italiana;

birth certificate with official "legalized" translation of each desendant in a direct [sic blood] line.
3) atto di matrimonio dell’avo italiano emigrato all’estero, munito di traduzione ufficiale italiana se formato all’estero;

marriage license application/certificate with official "legalized" translation of immigrant through whom you are applying.
4) atti di matrimonio dei suoi discendenti, in linea retta, compreso quello dei genitori della persona rivendicante il possesso della cittadinanza italiana;

marriage license application/certificate with official "legalized" translation of each desendant in a direct [sic blood] line.
5) certificato rilasciato dalle competenti Autorità dello Stato estero di emigrazione, munito di traduzione ufficiale in lingua italiana, attestante che l’avo italiano a suo tempo emigrato dall’Italia non acquistò la cittadinanza dello Stato estero di emigrazione anteriormente alla nascita dell’ascendente dell’interessato;

documentation proving that the immigrant through whom you are applying never acquired another citizenship up until the birth of an ascendant, their son/daughter...
6) certificato rilasciato dalla competente Autorità consolare italiana attestante che né gli ascendenti in linea retta né la persona rivendicante il possesso della cittadinanza italiana vi abbiano mai rinunciato ai termini dell’art. 7 della legge 13 giugno 1912, n. 555;

documentation that no one in the line ever renounced their Italian citizenship.
7) certificato di residenza.

certificate of residence in Italy...

They don't mention any non-blood people, nor any death certificates. Not sure why the consulates overkill this one... seems like the run around... or am I missing something here...? Maybe you are getting the special treatment and not the run around with the death certificates. Personally I am not sure why they require any documents that won't be used in the process, besides setting the bar higher and making the task more daunting for folks. People even amend and get court orders to adjust death certificates and birth certificates of non-blood line family just to apply. If I had to do that, I would hop across the pond to apply in Italy instead. Money better spent if you ask me... good luck, let us know how it turns out...

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 06 Jan 2010, 03:38

Well we must do what we can..... If I was at the consulate, I would have told the person go back and get a letter of no record for your great grandfather, but oh well.... I have everyting except a few loose ends. I don';t want to waste money getting death certs and haveing them translated , and apostiles .....

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 06 Jan 2010, 13:32

exactly... why waste time and money. That is my point. If they don't do anything with these documents, and if they don't send them to Italy for registration, why do they require us to waste time and money?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”