Italian Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Italian Citizenship

Postby fuzetto » 08 Oct 2002, 11:54

Hello; I wonder if anyone could give me some help... <BR>My great-grandfather was italian (from Villadose/ Rovigo, Veneto) and as far as I know, never naturalised Brazilian. I was told in the Italian Consulate in Brazil that I am entitled to an Italian citizenship. Now I\'m struggling to get my great-granfather\'s birth certificate, don\'t know where to ask for it... <BR>His name was Benedetto Fusetto and was probably born in 1872 in the above mentioned town. Thanks...
fuzetto

Italian Citizenship

Postby ptimber » 22 Oct 2002, 02:54

write in italian to the Ufficio di Statos Civle in that town, in italian (part 3 www.italianancestry.com) for form letters and submit full name and year of birth and send self addressed enveloipe and $5.00 for stamps. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Italian Citizenship

Postby ptimber » 22 Oct 2002, 21:31

Sorry the postal address is 45010, RO, Veneto. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Italian Citizenship

Postby ptimber » 16 Dec 2002, 17:46

.....and what can I do to help? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Italian Citizenship

Postby Jeffreyp123 » 10 Jan 2005, 13:53

That is %100 not true. There is no generational limit to obtaining italian citizenship. From a practical standpoint it might be difficult beyond great grandfather.

Refer to www.myitaliancitizenship.com
Jeffreyp123

Postby JamesBianco » 10 Jan 2005, 14:34

Seablu wrote:I was born in the US to Italian parents on both sides. I now have my dual citizenship and an Italian passport and I came back to live in Italy with the part of my family that did not emigrate to America.
<BR>
<BR>Having recently done all my paperwork, I do believe that Italian citizenship passes down as far as second generation only. That means you must have either a parent or a grandparent who is Italian. If your Great-grandparent is Italian, that would make you third generation and NOT eligible for Italian citizenship.
<BR>
<BR>

That is not true at all. There is no generational limit on re-claiming your citizenship in the Paternal Line (provided the immigrant was born subsequent to the 1871 Unification of Italy). If claiming through your maternal line, or the maternal line of your father, the child of the immigrant woman must have been born after December 31, 1947 (When a woman could legally pass her citizenship to her children)
Of course this is applicable only to Juris Sanguinis, there are advantages in having Italian ancestry in terms of gaining citizenship through residence in Italy (3 years versus 10 for the non-Italian descent immigrant). Of course as you well know the immigrant in either case must NOT have become a citizen of The United States previous to the birth of his or her child/children. There are many cases when a parent Naturalizes in the middle years of his marriage, and half the children are eligable and half aren't.

Jim Bianco
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 10 Jan 2005, 17:45

suanj wrote:For all:
1. all descendants of italian MEN emigrated in various Country and in various date, that have NOT renounced to italian citizenship, well all descendants male line have citizenship right ..

2. all descendants of italian women emigrated in various Country before 1948 are NOT right italian citizenship; if emigrated after 1948 and have NOT renounced to italian citizenship, the descendant female line also have right of italian citizenship..
suanj

Exactly.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby ptimber » 10 Jan 2005, 17:58

........and of course you should seek the advice of an attorney who specioalized in Italiancitizrenship since there are many procedures, rule, regulations and practices that change often enough to be of concern. Also if the application is rejected you then have to wait a long time to reapply. I do not know where you reside but please write me if your interested in a listing of attorneys. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship