Name Problem

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Grombone

Name Problem

Postby Grombone » 09 Jan 2010, 04:49

Any suggestions? IHave my grandfathers birth certificate from Italy and his Mom's marriage Certificate. But here in the US his last name on his Natralization Certificate and other documents show a different last name. What do I do now? I think he was raised by someone else as his real Dad my great grandfather died in Italy when he was 2 years old. He came to the US when he was 5 with my great grandmother.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Name Problem

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Jan 2010, 10:52

Grombone wrote:Any suggestions? IHave my grandfathers birth certificate from Italy and his Mom's marriage Certificate. But here in the US his last name on his Natralization Certificate and other documents show a different last name. What do I do now? I think he was raised by someone else as his real Dad my great grandfather died in Italy when he was 2 years old. He came to the US when he was 5 with my great grandmother.

Did your great-grandmother re-marry? Is this (new husband's name) the name on grandfather's naturalization papers?

If I were the consulate, I suppose I would want to see:

Grandfather's origianl Italian birth certificate
Great-grandfather's Italian (?) death certificate
Great-grandmother's re-marriage certificate showing new surname
Evidence that great-grandmother's new husband formally adopted grandfather

Of course, this is guesswork. Ultimately you will have to explain the situation to your consulate and ask what they require from you.

Grombone

Postby Grombone » 09 Jan 2010, 15:34

From the stories I heard. My great grandmother arrived here with my grandfather when he was 5. His father my great grandfather was a Grombone from Omignano, Italy. He died when my grandfather was 2. She did remarry and my grandfather wasn't treated so well by her new husband after arriving in America. I'm told the man she remarried to was an Albano but I haven't been able to find any info on her or my grandfathers half sister and brother that both died at an early age in NJ. I know my great grandmother died while walking my Dad when he was 5 as a truck ran her over. I learned from my uncle that she is buried in Jersey City with my grandparents 4th son who died at birth. My grandfather was raised by the Rambone familyin South NJ. My real last name should be Grombone not Rambone. So far I have my grandfathers Natralization Certificate, My Great Grandmothers marriage certificate to Pasquale Grombone and my grandfathers birth certificate from Salento Italy. I do know my Dad was born in 1933 and my Grandfathers natralization date on the certificate is Feb 1934. What should I do next and thanks so much.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 09 Jan 2010, 16:35

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Do you have any idea when the name change (legal or not) took place?

You are going to have to show that Grombone/Rambone is the same person. Were the Rambones relatives, or foster/ adoptive family?

Do you have census records, immigration records, any church or cemetery records? Do you know your great-grandmother's maiden name?

Grombone

Postby Grombone » 09 Jan 2010, 16:48

I have no idea if it was a legal adoption or not and I'm told i wouldn't be able to get those records in NJ anyway. I think they just took him in. The census records I have looked at shows my grandfather when he was around 20 something and my grandmother living in NJ My dad was very young and my Aunt who stayed with them. I have had no luck finding my great grandmother in the census records at all either under her maiden name Scarpa or under the name Albano the person she remarried to other then the passenger ship list that showed her as Maria Rosa Scarpa and showing as a widower. She landed in Philadelphia in 1911 with my grandfather Angelo. After that she seemed to not show up in any of the census records. I do know my Dad was born in 1929 and while walking him when he was 5 (1934) thens when she was killed by a truck in Jersey City. She is buried in a cemetary right across from where she was killed.

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 09 Jan 2010, 18:43

I saw the manifest, but could not attach it. :oops: (Somebody help!) What was Maia's sister's last name? I couldn't read it. Also they were going to ?field, NJ. Was that Garfield?

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Jan 2010, 19:02

Here is the arrival manifest Misbris: :D

page 1:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1Kt05S

pge 2:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1ad6Tr

she was joining her sister in law Caterina. then corrected in "Her husband Salvatore Capone??" in NewField NY???
She was leaving in Italy (Salento - Salerno Province - campania region) her mother Carolina.

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Jan 2010, 19:06

Possible 1906 arrival manifest for Salvatore Capano, from salento to Newfield to join his sister Giuseppina and brother in law?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028

Grombone

Postby Grombone » 09 Jan 2010, 19:08

Maria's Rosa sister name was Catherine My great great grandmoth was Caterina. Catherine married Salvatore Capano and a couple of my third cousins are still alive in Vineland NJ which is close to Newfield. I don't know when Rosa remarried.

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 09 Jan 2010, 19:25

Grombone wrote:Maria's Rosa sister name was Catherine ... Catherine married Salvatore Capano...

pink67 wrote:...
she was joining her sister in law Caterina. then corrected in "Her husband Salvatore Capone??" in NewField NY??? ...

Hi Laura!
Could it have meant joining her sister Caterina Scarpa Capano in Newfield NJ?
Valarie

Just for reference,
Probably Salvatore from your 1906 manifest & Caterina in Newfield (Cumberland County)
1942 WWII Card

Grombone

Postby Grombone » 09 Jan 2010, 19:38

Yes she was joining actually both of them. It was in Newfield NJ. They were farmers. Rosa's sister catherine and her mother Catalina. The problem is that I loose the paperwork trail after she's in NJ and remarried other then I know she was killed by a truck walking my dad when he was 5. What should I try to pursue next? Thanks

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 09 Jan 2010, 19:53

Thank you for the clarification :D .

Grombone wrote:... I have had no luck finding my great grandmother in the census records at all either under her maiden name Scarpa or under the name Albano the person she remarried to ... I do know my Dad was born in 1929 and while walking him when he was 5 (1934) thens when she was killed by a truck in Jersey City...

Here's a shot in the dark

possible 1930 census

Jersey City
59 Center Street
Rosa & Antonio Albano married abt 17 yrs (1913), son Frank
---

possible 1918 WWI Draft Rregistration Card

Tony Albano 43
286 Wayne Street
Jersey City, Hudson, NJ
10 Jul 1875
Rse Albano, same address

Grombone

Postby Grombone » 09 Jan 2010, 20:45

I think that's the one Frank was the son that drowned in the Newark bay I must have missed it when I checked the 1930 censes I'll look again. That would be the time frame as she arrived here in 1911.

Grombone

Postby Grombone » 09 Jan 2010, 23:33

Looking at the 1930 census the name in the attachment is not Albano so I do not think it's the correct one. I think the name is reading Albama. Thanks for the effort!

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 09 Jan 2010, 23:55

Dont't discount that record too quickly. There are many mistranscriptions and misspelling in census records.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”