Consulate questions...Philly or Newark?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Consulate questions...Philly or Newark?

Postby DeFilippis78 » 10 Jan 2010, 20:28

Im hearing conflicting info on what consulate to call. I live in ocean county , NJ and believe its Philly. But Ive seen some say Newark.

Also, when do you call? After you have evrrything or as soon as you get proof of either non naturalization or proof of naturalization after childs birth?

And one more...I have friends who came to live in the US from Italy recently. Thy went through Philly to become a US citizen and they said they are notorious for not keeping there appointments.Theyve actually driven all the way out there to have them say they never scheduled that time for them and turned them away. One time they scheduled it on a day they knew they would be closed. My friend got there and they were closed for the day. Did this happen to anyone

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Consulate questions...Philly or Newark?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 10 Jan 2010, 23:23

Philidelphia's website says:

The Consulate General of Italy in Philadelphia can process visa applications for legal residents in its district ONLY, which includes the following States: Pennsylvania, Delaware, North Carolina, West Virginia, New Jersey (only the following counties: Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Ocean and Salem. The remaining counties are under the jurisdiciton of the Consulate in Newark), Maryland (except for the counties of Montgomery and Prince George which fall under the jurisdiction of the consular section of the Italian Embassy in Washington, DC) and Virginia (except for the counties of Arlington and Fairfax which are also under the consular section of the Italian Embassy in Washington, DC). Students studying full-time at a University located in the consular district of the Consulate General of Philadelphia may also apply at this Office.

Granted, this concerns Visas, but I am sure the jurisdiction would be the same for all services. If I understand it correctly, Montgomery and Prince George counties go to the DC embassy; the rest of Maryland goes to Philidelphia.

[edit]

In fact, the jurisdiction does apply to all services. See this page.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Consulate questions...Philly or Newark?

Postby DeFilippis78 » 11 Jan 2010, 01:30

Bummer...there such a long wait. Anyhow, I have a question. Im waiting for USCIS to get back to me on Beniaminos naturalization (which I doubt took place) So once they tell me there is no record should I make an appt. or waiti till the official "no record found" letter which I heard takes a year in itself to get, before making the appt? Some even suggested to make the appt before I even find out anything just to save a spot and I can always cancel if Im not eligible. What do you think?

Alicia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”