USCIS Document Found; No Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Rastafeyd

USCIS Document Found; No Naturalization

Postby Rastafeyd » 11 Jan 2010, 17:18

I did an index search through USCIS and then ordered the documents they found. According to the documents I have, my GGGF never naturalized, though he filled out the paperwork in the early 40s, most likely because of World War II. Is having paperwork from USCIS showing he did not naturalize proof enough to not need to request a Certification of Nonexistence of Record from USCIS? Will I be able to skip requesting searches at NARA and the local courts? Thanks so much.

Mike

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: USCIS Document Found; No Naturalization

Postby DeFilippis78 » 11 Jan 2010, 18:20

What I have researched you have to prove on all levels that there was no naturalization.

For my case, I had to check NJ records, then the county records and then NARA. So far I have all 3 saying no naturalization. Im waiting on USCIS. I think you do need a formal paper because Ive heard some people say it takes awhile but im not sure.

So as far as I know you need proof on 4 levels....state, county, NARA, USCIS

Alicia

raynor

Postby raynor » 11 Jan 2010, 22:46

I have a question related to this: I received a certified record from USCIS stating they found no record. I have letters from the state and county courts as well as nara, but these are not certified, and it does not appear possible to receive certified copies of them. Will this be a problem?

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 11 Jan 2010, 23:21

Im not sure because Im sort of in the same boat. I also only have the papers they mailed me saying they found no record. When I emailed them and told them it was for dual citizenship and explained I needed certified copies, the state, county and NARA told me it would suffice. As far as I know the most important is the certified copy from USCIS. Each consulate is different with what exactly they want so you might want to reach out to them

Alicia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”