no record at USCIS but certificate issued

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

no record at USCIS but certificate issued

Postby mazzini » 12 Jan 2010, 04:15

I have a copy of my GF's petition for naturalization granted with a certificate number issued sent by NARA.
Today I received a "no record" for homeland security.

Does this mean that my GF never went through with the swearing in?

Do I go through and send the NARA documents to the US DCt. ?

Is the granting of the naturalization petition and the "certificate issued" tell me he is a US citizen?

Or, is Homeland Security the end all? no record there means he's not a citizen?

Thanks.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: no record at USCIS but certificate issued

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Jan 2010, 09:38

I am sure these forms have changed over the years, but for the ones I am familiar with the "Petition for Citizenship" is a double-sided document with the final section of the back side consisting of the "Oath of Allegiance". Hopefully the NARA researcher actually copied both sides of the document when responding to your request.

It is the signing of this Oath is by the petitioner and the court which finalizes the naturalization process and at this point a certificate is issued; the certificate number being entered into the designated space in the Oath section.

So, if you have a signed and completed Oath of Allegiance which has a certificate number entered, then he did indeed complete the process. My guess is that whatever information you gave to USCIS when you requested a search was not sufficient for them to locate the record (a fact which, quite honestly, calls into question all "No Records Found" responses).

Assuming you now have a document which shows a certificate number, I suggest you submit a records request (use the third option). When you get to the third page in the online request form, enter the certificate number as shown in the Oath of Allegiance.

mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mazzini » 12 Jan 2010, 14:54

thanks Johnny,

but in my search I listed the certificate number and the court. he indeed has the oath of allegiance on the back of the petition.

I also did a search on the www.italiangen.org website and they have no record of my GF although they have all other family members who did become citizens.

should I send the NARA documents to the US District Court for certification? Apparently in LA I only need Homeland Security and NARA. We have conflicting reports.

In any event, he was naturalized after my mother was born.

So should I go through Homeland again? This may take a long time.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 12 Jan 2010, 15:03

mazzini wrote:thanks Johnny,

but in my search I listed the certificate number and the court. he indeed has the oath of allegiance on the back of the petition.

I also did a search on the www.italiangen.org website and they have no record of my GF although they have all other family members who did become citizens.

should I send the NARA documents to the US District Court for certification? Apparently in LA I only need Homeland Security and NARA. We have conflicting reports.

In any event, he was naturalized after my mother was born.

So should I go through Homeland again? This may take a long time.

The consualtes are much happier when you prove that naturalization occured then if you try to prove that it didn't. I would reply to the letter you received from USCIS, enclosing a copy of the documents already in your possession and demand (nicely!) that they search again and do so on the fast-track (their term for expiditing requests).

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”