Help? Passenger lists for ships going from NY to Naples?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
fdevita

Help? Passenger lists for ships going from NY to Naples?

Postby fdevita » 13 Jan 2010, 17:43

Newbie here. Sorry if this has already been asked, I did a simple search and did not find specific info.

I am searching for a passenger list showing my great grandfather & mother and my grandfather returning to Italy (Naples) from NY sometime around 1896 (+/- 2). Going to Calabritto.

Silvio, Agnese and Donato DeVita (or De Vita, DeVito, De Vito).

I do not know where to look to get passenger lists going to Italy.

Thanks
Frank
Surnames:
Paternal - DeVita, Rocca, Gregorio and Senerchia.
Maternal - Guardino, Ferrier (Ferriere), and Scodes.
Yes only seven, 4th cousins married on mothers side.

America - A fine Italian name!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Help? Passenger lists for ships going from NY to Naples?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Jan 2010, 17:49

fdevita wrote:Newbie here. Sorry if this has already been asked, I did a simple search and did not find specific info.

I am searching for a passenger list showing my great grandfather & mother and my grandfather returning to Italy (Naples) from NY sometime around 1896 (+/- 2). Going to Calabritto.

Silvio, Agnese and Donato DeVita (or De Vita, DeVito, De Vito).

I do not know where to look to get passenger lists going to Italy.

Thanks
Frank

The consensus seems to be that no such records exist.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 13 Jan 2010, 17:56

Dear Frank there are no outgoing ships manifests on line to Europe. However the only other possiblity to confirm their arrival in Calabritto is to send a request to the Uffico Anagrafe asking them for any record of their approximate 1896 arrival back to Calabritto.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html and modify their form letter in Italian to request information about their return to Calabritto. =Peter=
~Peter~

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 13 Jan 2010, 18:17

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Frank there are no outgoing ships manifests on line to Europe. However the only other possiblity to confirm their arrival in Calabritto is to send a request to the Uffico Anagrafe asking them for any record of their approximate 1896 arrival back to Calabritto.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html and modify their form letter in Italian to request information about their return to Calabritto. =Peter=

Good point. It (the Ufficio Anagrafe) won't have information on the sailing itself, but they should have the date when these people re-established their residency in Calabrito.

Unless of course the original trip to the US was a short-term "vacation" in which case the Anagrafe will most likely not have a record of them leaving, let alone returning.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

fdevita

Postby fdevita » 13 Jan 2010, 18:20

Thanks!

No wonder I could not find any lists. I thought it was my lack of investigative skills!

I will try sending a request to the Uffico Anagrafe asking them for any record of their approximate 1896 arrival back to Calabritto.

Thank again
Frank
Surnames:

Paternal - DeVita, Rocca, Gregorio and Senerchia.

Maternal - Guardino, Ferrier (Ferriere), and Scodes.

Yes only seven, 4th cousins married on mothers side.

America - A fine Italian name!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”