Will my mother get the citizenship if I apply?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pats

Will my mother get the citizenship if I apply?

Postby pats » 13 Jan 2010, 21:24

Hi,

I'm Peruvian but currently a resident in London. I have an appointment in early February to apply for the Italian citizenship at the Italian consulate in London.

My mother lives in Peru but would like her to get the citizenship as well. Can I apply for her as well here in London? Will she get the citizenship as a step for met getting it?

The first Italian immigrant to Peru was my GGGF.

Any advice on how I can do this work will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Will my mother get the citizenship if I apply?

Postby teddi » 16 Jan 2010, 07:09

She will not automatically receive recognition of jure sanguinis citizenship when you apply. She must submit an application as well. She must submit her application at the Italian consulate where she is resident. If you have already applied/had your citizenship recognized, she could reference your application documents at the Italian embassy in London. It will be at the discretion of the consulate in Peru if this is acceptable or if your mother requires a separate set of documents.

pats

Postby pats » 16 Jan 2010, 10:57

Thanks. That's unfortunate though - the reason why she hasn't applied in Peru is that there's a big queue. She's asked for an appointment 3 years ago and she still doesn't have a date. The estimated waiting time for an appointment can be more than 5 years!

Could I get an affidavit from her an apply for her in London as well?

teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby teddi » 17 Jan 2010, 08:43

No, one can apply only where one is resident. Could she temporarily move to London and stay with you awhile?

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Jan 2010, 02:56

On this subject... is it easier to have my mother and sister apply with me at the same time? Should we all make the appointment for the same time or do they deal with each seperate? I know my sister is interested but my mother is on the fence and I heard its easier for me if my mother applies as well

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Jan 2010, 13:30

DeFilippis78 wrote:On this subject... is it easier to have my mother and sister apply with me at the same time? Should we all make the appointment for the same time or do they deal with each seperate? I know my sister is interested but my mother is on the fence and I heard its easier for me if my mother applies as well

Alicia

If your mother is interested, then it would be easier for everyone if they process her application first. Once the consular official determines your mother's application is complete, you and your sister would merely add your own birth certificates to the pile, so to speak.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 30 Jan 2010, 17:20

johnnyonthespot wrote:
DeFilippis78 wrote:On this subject... is it easier to have my mother and sister apply with me at the same time? Should we all make the appointment for the same time or do they deal with each seperate? I know my sister is interested but my mother is on the fence and I heard its easier for me if my mother applies as well

Alicia

If your mother is interested, then it would be easier for everyone if they process her application first. Once the consular official determines your mother's application is complete, you and your sister would merely add your own birth certificates to the pile, so to speak.

This was the approach offered to me, to have my mother apply first. She doesn't live as close to the consulate, not even the same consulate as me. She would have to drive 6+ hours for the appointment, and wait 1+ years to be seen. I chose to apply first as my consulate is 1 hour away and the appointment was only 1 month out. If she chooses to apply after my application has been accepted, it should be a quick turn around for her. She really isn't so interested though. I did however set up an appointment for myself, my brother and my sister to apply at the same time as myself. I was told for the initial document review meeting, they would not be required to attend. I will know more in a week or two after my meeting.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”