Is it possible someone just never filled out a census?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Is it possible someone just never filled out a census?

Postby DeFilippis78 » 25 Jan 2010, 16:01

I mean was it really required to do so? I have been searching for a 1900 census for grandfather, his wife and daughter. Ive tried every means possible, every name combination. I even searched for them by first name only which was quite tedious going through thousands of listings on ancestry. And there is nothing. I dont think he naturalized and know the consulate would want census records. But Ive tried numerous times over the last 6 weeks hunting this record down and...nada. Maybe they just didnt fill it out?

Alicia

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Is it possible someone just never filled out a census?

Postby wldspirit » 25 Jan 2010, 16:55

Entirely possible.......I myself have missed at least two of the census, future generations will have fun with that one!! :wink:

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 25 Jan 2010, 17:07

Lol!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Jan 2010, 17:11

"Filling out" a census form is a relatively recent occurrence, to the best of my knowledge. In all the (US) censuses we have access to, the form was completed by an "enumerator" who went door-to-door in his assigned district and interviewed a member of each and every household.

So, the only way someone did not get counted is if they deliberately hid from the enumerator. Even then, enumerators had ways of finding out (asking neighbors) if anyone was missing.

The more likely reason you can't find your ancestors is that there name was written down incorrectly or transcribed (when the handwritten census documents were entered into a searchable database) incorrectly.

In the case of my maternal grandparents, it took me forever to locate them but I eventually found both the 1920, and 1930 censuses. The family name was mangled on each of them (De Iacovo became De Dacara on one, Yaconian on another). I knew for certain what town they were living in; I eventually found the census pages by scanning through each and every page for that town. Luckily, they had so many children (all of whose names and ages I knew), that they were easy to pick out once I came to the corrrect census page. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Jan 2010, 17:22

PS: I also found them on a 1915 New York State census listed as simply "Iacovo".
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 25 Jan 2010, 17:22

I tried that. I first searched last name and being I knew it would be mispelled I tried just the first name, english form and Italian. I checked just by year of immigration, just year of birth, just the daughter. Its crazy. Maybe they lived somewhere different. Who knows?

Now I have another question? On my G grandfathers manifest I just noticed he has 2 children listed under him. They have different names and his wife is not there. Could they jhave ust randomly wrote people names down because I dont think these kids are related in anyway.

The ship is:
Hindoustan ,July 6 1892, Beniamino Passaro

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Jan 2010, 17:35

Now I have another question? On my G grandfathers manifest I just noticed he has 2 children listed under him. They have different names and his wife is not there. Could they jhave ust randomly wrote people names down because I dont think these kids are related in anyway.

The ship is:
Hindoustan ,July 6 1892, Beniamino Passaro

Alicia

The children have two different surnames and one of them (the first) is listed as age = 0. Maybe the age is missing a digit and she iis actually the mother of the child listed below? Notice that Carmela is listed as a "female" while the 12 year-old is listed as "child".
Carmine

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 25 Jan 2010, 17:40

Even with the enumerator, I still missed the census...

they may have lived in another town, then again they could have been traveling......have you asked Vj to check, she can usually find the record, even if they horribly mangled the name....

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 25 Jan 2010, 17:45

Carmine, now that you bring it to my attention, I did notice that. I was hoping to find his wife on there somewhere, Giuseppa Cimarelli. No luck. But there is a Otomaria Ciccarelli. Im wondering if thats her because i never could find my grandmothers manifest. The problem is this Otomaria isnt near ben on the manifest.

As far as VJ, I think she might have looked. Im not sure

Alicia

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 25 Jan 2010, 17:46

Hi wldspirit and Alicia!
What a wonderful compliment :D !
I remember looking for this census on and off for several days.
I located the probable address - the house number is missing from the census and found a 'catch-up' page with a next door address.
This could have been a case of a enumerator who was not very diligent.
Valarie

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 25 Jan 2010, 17:50

No way! You found something!

Alicia

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 25 Jan 2010, 17:58

No, just their possible neighbors
There's no way of confirming their address in 1900 without the census
I looked for the address from 1910
---

Here's the post with the 1910 census that suanj found
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... art=0.html
Benjamino (Beniamino) Passaro

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Jan 2010, 18:00

DeFilippis78 wrote:Carmine, now that you bring it to my attention, I did notice that. I was hoping to find his wife on there somewhere, Giuseppa Cimarelli. No luck. But there is a Otomaria Ciccarelli. Im wondering if thats her because i never could find my grandmothers manifest. The problem is this Otomaria isnt near ben on the manifest.

Alicia

Okay; just so we are clear, I wasn't necessarily thinking that the three were traveling together - just that the 12 year-old might have been the child of the "0" year-old female. Whether or not the 0 year-old female was traveling with Beniamino hadn't crossed my mind.

I wonder if "0" meant that she refused to give her age or something like that??
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 25 Jan 2010, 18:04

I have that census for him, thats the only one. Looking over that old post suanj mentioned they married in NJ. Where do you find that. As far as I know their first child was born in 1894 here in NJ right after he came to America. So Im assuming they married in Italy.

Alicia

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 25 Jan 2010, 18:07

johnnyonthespot wrote:
DeFilippis78 wrote:Carmine, now that you bring it to my attention, I did notice that. I was hoping to find his wife on there somewhere, Giuseppa Cimarelli. No luck. But there is a Otomaria Ciccarelli. Im wondering if thats her because i never could find my grandmothers manifest. The problem is this Otomaria isnt near ben on the manifest.

Alicia

Okay; just so we are clear, I wasn't necessarily thinking that the three were traveling together - just that the 12 year-old might have been the child of the "0" year-old female. Whether or not the 0 year-old female was traveling with Beniamino hadn't crossed my mind.

I wonder if "0" meant that she refused to give her age or something like that??

Thats what i was wondering, if they were together. But I dont think so because I dont know those names at all. His first child was born here.I just thought it was weird to see 2 "kids" under his name

Alicia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”