small Mistake on mom's birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

small Mistake on mom's birth certificate

Postby mazzini » 27 Jan 2010, 04:52

Hi,

I'm going through my maternal grandfather. Vincenzo is his first name. On my mother's NYC birth certificate, they misspelled his name Vinzenze. It is obvious who he is from all the other numerous docs.

Should my mother amend her birth certificate?

I'm at the LA Consulate.

CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: small Mistake on mom's birth certificate

Postby CowryShells » 27 Jan 2010, 13:43

The best answer would come directly from the LA consulate.

It stated on my consulate's website that there can be no discrepancies among names or dates. I chose to make my appointment go as smoothly as possible, so I went through the process of getting my documents corrected ahead of time. I had three different documents with a small mistake on each one.

mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mazzini » 27 Jan 2010, 19:27

thanks Johnny.

the Consulate finally answered the phone.

I don't have to make any changes if my mother's maiden name is correct on my birth certificate.

Wouldn't you know it? My mother's maiden name is misspelled on my birth certificate.

but I already had that amended.

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 30 Jan 2010, 17:32

It is amazing how nobody double checked for misspelled words. So many "official" documents have these errors. You would think they would give you one or two "freebies" seeing how so many documents have these issues. :) I hope my minor issues will be overlooked.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”