Devastated - please help

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Devastated - please help

Postby cdevita » 28 Jan 2010, 01:17

As I have been working feverishly on my dual citizenship list of doc to pull together. My entire family since the immigration was born and lived in the Brooklyn, new York area, or so I thought...I come to find out that my Grandfather was born in CT!! Anyway, I get his last living child to acquire the birth record for me and I find something unusual to the very usual stuff I have been getting out of NYC and now I am very upset that this may ruin everything for me. I received an "Affidavit" from the Vital Records Town Hall showing how my grandfather and 2 witnesses in 1942 (my grandfather was born in 1912) went to CT to file a birth certificate for him. It shows a photocopy from a page in a book which begins with the affidavit and is followed by information "TAKEN FROM BAPTISMAL RECORDS" showing the birth in Greenwich, CT and both of my GG Parents residing in Greenwich during that time of his birth. (Possible, I suppose, since the 1940 census records still not available). Both of his parents were deceased by this time, in fact my father would have been 6 years old at the time the certificate was filed. I did received Letters of Exemplification on the certificates but this is an unorthodox doc. How can possibly be acceptable to the LA Consolato? Has anyone else had this type of an issue?? What happened??

cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Devastated - please help

Postby cdevita » 28 Jan 2010, 01:20

Also, forgot because I am so upset-the doc does have the raised certification seal on it..

cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cdevita » 28 Jan 2010, 04:23

I just sent a copy of the docs to the email address I have at the Los Angeles Consolato and asked if they were acceptable...I will post a return response.

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 30 Jan 2010, 17:29

What is the concern? That the affidavit won't be accepted because you don't have the actual birth certificate?

If that is the case and nothing else has changed to "ruin" your case, it would seem possible to file a delayed birth certificate in CT, if that is what is required by the LA consulate.

Let us know how it turns out.

cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cdevita » 03 Feb 2010, 19:23

Hi! State Department called today and is Apostilling the Delayed Certificate of Birth of my Grandfather!

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”