"No records" document from the INS

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

"No records" document from the INS

Postby mtpizzo » 25 Feb 2004, 01:49

The Italian Consulate General in Houston sent me this email:

gentile sig. pizzo
le inviamo le nostre linee guida. Il documento che dimostra che una persona non si e' mai naturalizaata e' una dichiarazione dell'INS e del NARA di "no records of naturalization in the name of...."
cordialita'
Dr. Susanna Sgoifo
Consular Agent

Has anybody done this? Who do I call, write, visit?
Honestly, I do not know if my grandparents were naturalized, but in the event that they were, could I "cheat" the system?

For example, my grandfather was born Gaetano Rizzo and died as John Miller after a name change. If he was naturalized under Gaetano, than INS would not have a record of John, or vice versa.
mtpizzo

Postby mtpizzo » 26 Feb 2004, 02:17

I called the National Archives and spoke with a Cynthia Fox. She said that she has had this request several times (and only from people applying for Italian citizenship!!).

Basically, since my family arrived in America before 1906, I have a lot of work to do. After that year, all records were sent to the archives. Apparently, I have to go to every county courthouse where my family lived between their arrival in America until there death and get documents from them. Then I have to get a letter from the INS. And so on and so on. I thought the Italian documents would be hard to get, but this appears to be impossible.

Does anybody have a recomendation on a person I could hire to do this??
mtpizzo

no documents

Postby girty » 17 Mar 2004, 15:46

I have been trying to find my grandfathers documents for naturlization. If you check the census your grandfather should say what year he was naturlized. If their is an AL after his name then at that time he was not a citizen. If an NA appears then you only have to write to the county courthouse in which he lived or the local court house. I would ask to have them look for both names..good luck..i hope this is some help
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Postby pastasugo » 26 Mar 2004, 20:02

n bn
pastasugo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ptimber » 08 May 2004, 00:04

www.archives.gov/facilities for the regional offices. Peter
ptimber
Master