Grandfather's Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

Grandfather's Naturalization

Post by themilitantcatholic »

I have a copy of my grandfather's Certificate of Citizenship, my cousin has the original, he has declined to send me the original, only a copy. What is the easiest way for me to acquire a Certified Copy. My grandfather became a citizen in 1934, in Ohio, the petition number is 10204, there is also another number in the upper right hand corner 3721857. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Re: Grandfather's Naturalization

Post by Drew927 »

Try contacting the Graet Lakes Region of the NARA.

http://www.archives.gov/great-lakes/
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

themilitantcatholic wrote:I have a copy of my grandfather's Certificate of Citizenship, my cousin has the original, he has declined to send me the original, only a copy. What is the easiest way for me to acquire a Certified Copy. My grandfather became a citizen in 1934, in Ohio, the petition number is 10204, there is also another number in the upper right hand corner 3721857. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Since you already have the certificate number (the "C" record", the easiest way is to simply visit the USCIS Genealogy page and order a "Records Request" bypassing the Index Search (the goal of the Index Search is basically to find the certificate number).

When you fill out the form, be certain to check the box for an "electronic copy" - they say it will be emailed to you but in fact it will come on a CD via postal mail. USCIS photocopies are notoriously bad (they use bad monochrome printers) and the documents received are often illegible. However, if you print your own from the electonic image file, you will see an amazing difference in quality.

Only the USCIS can provide copies of the actual certificate, by the way. Local archives may have all of the other related documents (Declaration, Petition, Oath of Allegiance), but only USCIS has the certificate. When I applied in New York mid-2008, the Declaration and Oath were sufficient; however I understand many consulates today (including NYC) are demanging the actual certificate.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

this is the best site on the entire internet, thanks johnny.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

johnnyonthespot wrote:... however I understand many consulates today (including NYC) are demanging the actual certificate.
Mange: a persistent and contagious disease of the skin causing inflammation and itching and loss of hair; affects domestic animals (and sometimes people)

Demanging: sounds like something the consulates would do to a certificate, doesn't it? :)

Of course, I meant to type "demanding." I think my wireless keyboard's batteries need replacing.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

I just tried doing it now, I typed in the number 3721857 and it came up as an error, and gave other examples.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

Does it have to have a "C" before the number? "C" meaning Citizenship?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

themilitantcatholic wrote:I just tried doing it now, I typed in the number 3721857 and it came up as an error, and gave other examples.
I think you have to put a "C" in front of it: C3721857.

I don't recall the specifics, but I think "A record" contains files related to the person as a registered Alien, the "C record" being citizenship files.
Carmine

themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

also I see the address for this place is in Chicago, since I live here, can't I just pop in and get it.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

themilitantcatholic wrote:also I see the address for this place is in Chicago, since I live here, can't I just pop in and get it.
Don't know; perhaps you can telephone and inquire.
Carmine

themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

okay this time it went through, when I put C3721857, but I did not see a box for "electronic copy", the fee was $20.00. Maybe I missed the box, I'll check it again
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
johnnyonthespot wrote:... however I understand many consulates today (including NYC) are demanging the actual certificate.
Mange: a persistent and contagious disease of the skin causing inflammation and itching and loss of hair; affects domestic animals (and sometimes people)

Demanging: sounds like something the consulates would do to a certificate, doesn't it? :)

Of course, I meant to type "demanding." I think my wireless keyboard's batteries need replacing.
LOL! Demanging! That gave me a good laugh. Thanks Carmine!

Alicia