Census Requirements?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Census Requirements?

Postby Drew927 » 08 Feb 2010, 19:00

My grandfather did not naturalize before his death in 1939. He entered the U.S. in 1921. I have a copy of his ship manifest and the 1930 Census that shows the entire family, However there are many errors on both the manifest and census report.

If the Consulate requires the Census as additional proof of no Naturalization will they accept it with the errors?

The errors are my grandmother listed as his daughter and my father "Angelo" listed as his daughter "Angelina".

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Census Requirements?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Feb 2010, 19:11

Nearly every census I have looked at is full of errors of this type. I cannot imagine that the consulates are not aware of this problem and that they don't make allowances for it.

Having said that, I have no direct experience with this as it (non-naturalization) was not an issue with my own application.

PS: The census is what it is (or "was what it was"?) and cannot be changed or amended. At best, you could possibly prepare a formal statement of what you believe to be the correct data, attach it to the census, sign it and have it notarized.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Feb 2010, 00:43

"IF" the Consulate makes a request for the Census then I would, at that time, ask him if he will accept the errors which are minor in nature and if not what does he require to make "whole" the Census. He may like you and wave it away with one fell swoop of this arm. =Peter=
~Peter~

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Postby Drew927 » 09 Feb 2010, 05:40

Thanks guys, I will cover my butt and do both.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”