Would a son have to serve in the military?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Would a son have to serve in the military?

Postby DeFilippis78 » 11 Feb 2010, 23:29

This is a hypothetical question concerning a child and if Im granted citizenship. Im still young and might have more children. Right now I have all girls. But If I should have a son someday and he becomes a citizen under me, would he be obligated to serve in the Italian military?

Alicia

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Would a son have to serve in the military?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 11 Feb 2010, 23:47

Italy ended compulsory military service effective December 31, 2004.

There is, of course, no way to predict the future laws of Italy or any other country.

In the past, it was argued that so long as the dual citizen did not actually enter Italy, it was unlikely that he would be "drafted". In the future, should worst come to worst, your sons could simply remounce their Italian citizenship.

Another option is for you to not register your sons as citizens immediately but to hold that in reserve for a time when they have reached an age where conscription is unlikely, or until such time as they really need citizenship (to be able to live/work in an EU country, for example).

Of course that option carries the risk that jure sanguinis citizenship laws might change at some future date.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 11 Feb 2010, 23:53

What if he joined the US military first? Its not too far fetched because my husband was a Marine and a son might want to do that also. So is there a law then pertaining to dual citizenship and serving only 1 military?

Alicia

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 12 Feb 2010, 20:22

No.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”