Registering Documents in non-ancestor Comune - Not possible?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Registering Documents in non-ancestor Comune - Not possible?

Postby Mulé » 18 Feb 2010, 16:58

I got news from the Boston Consulate that you can not choose which Comune to register your documents/application in.

I asked about registering my documents in a comune other than the ancestor comune and told it was not possible. I was told that they would have no information about the ancestor and could not register the line. Not sure how that holds up with what information they send to the comune and what is registered. Will my m-gf and my mother's birth certificates be sent to the comune and registered? I read in the forums that they were not. I am not sure I want to be registered in that ancestor comune. So what is my option, go to Italy and establish residency in the town I would like to register in, then apply there? They register the documents in that town in that case right? or are they sent back to the ancestor's comune regardless. Anyone gone through this or know the answer and can save me the expensive airfare. :)

mler
Master
Master

Re: Registering Documents in non-ancestor Comune - Not possi

Postby mler » 19 Feb 2010, 13:59

I think the reasoning behind this is that had your ggf registered his child's birth, it would have been sent to his comune. The consulate is simply continuing that line, and it simplifies matters for everyone since all the family records are located in the same place.

The location of your family records does not affect you at all. If, for example, your birth documents are registered in a comune in Calabria, this does not affect your ability to set up residence wherever you wish. It's much like what happens if you were born in Houston. Houston holds your birth records, but that's it. You live where you choose. So why make an issue of something that means so little?

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 19 Feb 2010, 14:20

mler wrote:I think the reasoning behind this is that had your ggf registered his child's birth, it would have been sent to his comune. The consulate is simply continuing that line, and it simplifies matters for everyone since all the family records are located in the same place.
I completely understand and agree. Some other threads mentioned the possibility of choosing where your documents are registered, and I was just passing along the information I received from the consular citizenship official.
mler wrote:The location of your family records does not affect you at all. If, for example, your birth documents are registered in a comune in Calabria, this does not affect your ability to set up residence wherever you wish. It's much like what happens if you were born in Houston. Houston holds your birth records, but that's it. You live where you choose. So why make an issue of something that means so little?

No issue. I was just inquiring as to the possibility, or lack of possibility as it seems. I no longer have any connection to that ancestor's town hall. It is a very tiny town hall in a tiny village. I would much rather, or prefer even, to have my documents registered in a town hall where I have living relatives, who can go to the town hall on my behalf without a bother. Registering in this remote town hall is a disadvantage, however slight.

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 19 Feb 2010, 18:15

I've no experience with this so take this with a grain of salt, but I think it likely that even if you apply in Italy, your documents are registered in the ancestral comune. Our experience with the consulates leads me to believe that documents are not registered where you apply for citizenship. Perhaps your Italian relatives can ask.

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 19 Feb 2010, 18:18

mler wrote:I've no experience with this so take this with a grain of salt, but I think it likely that even if you apply in Italy, your documents are registered in the ancestral comune. Our experience with the consulates leads me to believe that documents are not registered where you apply for citizenship. Perhaps your Italian relatives can ask.

Yeah I don't know what happens to the documents when you apply in Italy. It was my understanding from the two circolare that detail the procedure, that the local town hall registers that data at the local registry. I could be wrong, and they send the document to the old town hall. Not sure. I had asked some people who applied in Italy, but didn't get a response.

teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby teddi » 20 Feb 2010, 06:30

Regardless where you apply, the documents are registered in the ancestor's comune. When you become resident in a different comune, the anagrafe references the documents in your ancestor's comune.

Lisann on expats is currently applying in Italy in a different comune than her ancestors. Yet the new comune will send them to be registered in the ancestral comune (whenever they finish fooling around with NY consulate).

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 20 Feb 2010, 13:36

teddi wrote:Regardless where you apply, the documents are registered in the ancestor's comune. When you become resident in a different comune, the anagrafe references the documents in your ancestor's comune.

Lisann on expats is currently applying in Italy in a different comune than her ancestors. Yet the new comune will send them to be registered in the ancestral comune (whenever they finish fooling around with NY consulate).
Thanks for the reply. So there is no choice in the matter at all. I know when you move residences they reference your documents in the original town hall, just like the registration in AIRE for people outside of italy.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”