Census with name mispellings

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Census with name mispellings

Postby DeFilippis78 » 21 Feb 2010, 17:38

Ive been told by some on this board that when there are no records of naturalization, the consulates want censuses to check to see if they possibly naturalized. But I have an issue. I have been looking for my GG grandfathers 1900 census for 2 months. NJ archives said they couldnt even find him and his name must be spelled wrong. If thats the case, and it always is, how does the consulate use it towards your eligibility? How do you prove the person on the census is a relative if the name is wrong? They seem to have major issues with spelling on everything else. So if I find his census eventually and the name is way off will it be a problem?

Alicia

mler
Master
Master

Re: Census with name mispellings

Postby mler » 21 Feb 2010, 20:27

So many things can raise red flags, but it's impossible to guess how the consulate will react. I believe you said you are applying in Philly. It's entirely possible that you won't need census records, so try not to worry.

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 21 Feb 2010, 20:32

What makes you say that? Dont give me too much hope :) Ive spent hours on end looking for that record and just the thought of not needing it would make me so happy. I hope its true!

Alicia

PS- Yes its philly.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 22 Feb 2010, 12:51

Alicia, do you have any idea where in New Jersey he lived?

I knew that my father was born in Hoboken in 1921 and was certain that his parents and older brother would have been there for the 1920 census, but no matter how many different ways I searched, I could not locate the census.

Finaly, I began scanning through each and every page of each of Hoboken's enumeration districts looking for the address which I found on grandfather's WWI draft registration. Sure enough, I found them. My grandfather's given name, Giuseppe, had somehow been perverted into the family name "Jossepe" and his actual surname was listed in the given name column. To make matters worse, when the record was transcribed and indexed, Jossepe became Jessep, my grandmother's name Teresa became Tressa, and my grandfather's "given" name was mis-spelled as well.

So, to sum up, if you have an approximate address, you may be able to locate the census record by scanning through all pages...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Feb 2010, 13:40

Carmine,
Nice avatar! Anyway, Im not certain where he lived in 1900.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 22 Feb 2010, 14:51

DeFilippis78 wrote:Carmine,
Nice avatar!

Thanks. I was looking for a meaningful way to celebrate my recognition letter back in July, 2008 and came up with that design. The line above sono americano ("I am an American") says "cittadinanza statunitense secondo il principio ius soli" which basically (I hope) means "US citizen according to the principle of ius soli".

Below sono italiano (I am an Italian) is "cittadinanza italiana secondo il principio ius sanguinis" - "Italain citizen according to the principle of ius sanguinis".

I even had it printed on some t-shirts as a trial. One of these days I may consider offering them for sale. Here is a photo of me on my last visit to Rome:
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 22 Feb 2010, 14:57

Neat!! How clever. Im sure if you offered them for sale you'd have some buyers. Or even have it put on a mug or key ring or something like that. That way people can have some memorabilia. Very smart!

I wish I could go to Rome. Someday I will. I want to see the Vatican more than anything. But 31 years old with 4 young kids...its not happening just yet:) Im lucky I can get to the super market!

Alicia

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”