1992 window of opportunity

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
janetparker10

1992 window of opportunity

Postby janetparker10 » 23 Feb 2010, 02:41

My parents were both born in Italy and became naturalized citizens of the U.S. I was born in the U.S. AFTER they naturalized, which I understand does not allow me to qualify for dual citizenship. However, both parents took advantage of the "window of opportunity" that was given to people who wanted dual citizenship prior to 1997 and are now dual citizens! What does this mean for the children who also want to acquire dual citizenship? It seems that the renouncing of their italian citizenship is void. Do the children now qualify for dual citizenship as well?

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: 1992 window of opportunity

Postby johnnyonthespot » 23 Feb 2010, 03:09

My understanding is that there remains a period during which they were not Italian citizens and children born during that period are out of luck.

On the other hand, I believe that if a child was still a minor (not sure if that means 18 or 21 in this case) at the time the parents regained citizzenship, then the children gained it as well.

I hope that made sense. :)

Were you still a minor in 1997?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 23 Feb 2010, 11:40

When they reacquired citizenship, the names of their minor children would have also been recorded. Check with them or their consulate.

janetparker10

Postby janetparker10 » 26 Feb 2010, 02:05

Yes I understand. but, no, I was not a minor in 1997. Its hard to let this go...One could argue that since they were not given a choice to have dual citizenship back in the 60's and were given a second opportunity to have it, that the renouncing of their birth country would now be void. Makes sense to me!!! what do you think?? :D

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 26 Feb 2010, 02:52

I like it; unfortunately, the consulates don't think that way.

My husband was also born in Italy and lost citizenship through naturalization before our children were born. They were lucky because the path to citizenship was open through my paternal grandfather. I always thought it to be somehow wrong that they were eligible for citizenship through a greatgrandfather they never knew when their father was born in Italy.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”