Do marriage documents require letter of exemplification

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Do marriage documents require letter of exemplification

Postby Drew927 » 24 Feb 2010, 05:37

Will I need to get a letter of exemplification for my parents marriage certificate/license?
I'm not sure if it is required for the apostille.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Do marriage documents require letter of exemplification

Postby johnnyonthespot » 24 Feb 2010, 12:35

Are we talking about a New York City marriage?

The New York State website page dealing with apostilles ( http://www.dos.state.ny.us/corps/apostille.html ) says the following:

All marriage records originating from the five boroughs of New York City (Bronx, Kings, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island) must be obtained from the Marriage Bureau, Municipal Center, 1 Centre Street, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10007. Obtain a certified copy of the marriage certificate with an original signature of the City Clerk. The document must then be presented to the County Clerk's Office in the county where the document was obtained to verify the signature of the City Clerk. The document can then be presented to the New York State Department of State for authentication.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

Drew927
Elite
Elite

Re: Do marriage documents require letter of exemplification

Postby Drew927 » 24 Feb 2010, 17:45

Yes, NYC. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”