Help! My great-grandfather used more than one name

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jp2006

Help! My great-grandfather used more than one name

Postby jp2006 » 25 Feb 2010, 22:25

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. My great-grandfather was born Vincenzo Gugliermo. Then one day, at the suggestion of one of his children's school teachers, he started calling himself James Williams.

I would like to apply for dual citizenship, but don't know how to resolve this name issue.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Help! My great-grandfather used more than one name

Postby johnnyonthespot » 25 Feb 2010, 22:29

Both of these are common Americanizations for the names given, and most US consulates recognize them as such.

This should not be an issue anywhere except in the most difficult consulates. Where will you be applying?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

jp2006

Postby jp2006 » 25 Feb 2010, 22:39

Well, I am an American who is currently living in Europe...However, my research says that as an American I have to apply to a consulate in the USA. I have family all over the country and depending on which address I use I could apply to the Detroit or Philadelphia consulates.

Any reccomendations?

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 25 Feb 2010, 22:48

jp2006 wrote:Well, I am an American who is currently living in Europe...However, my research says that as an American I have to apply to a consulate in the USA. I have family all over the country and depending on which address I use I could apply to the Detroit or Philadelphia consulates.

Any reccomendations?

You should be able to apply where you are a resident, even in EUROPE or elsewhere... Also, Philly has a 14 - 16 month wait for an appointment... fwiw

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 25 Feb 2010, 22:57

I think the James part may well be a problem. Vincent is the anglicized version of Vincenzo. The Italian version of James is Giacomo.

jp2006

Postby jp2006 » 25 Feb 2010, 23:00

Four of my great-grandfather's 7 children are still alive. Do you think it would help if they wrote a letter stating that he used both names and then had it notarised?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 25 Feb 2010, 23:06

Whynot make that inquiry at the consulate where you apply. It can only help you since whatever they relate to you is what they would also relate when you submit your application. Indeed you may learn something more than that at the same time. =Peter=
~Peter~

Mulé
Elite
Elite

Postby Mulé » 25 Feb 2010, 23:11

jp2006 wrote:Four of my great-grandfather's 7 children are still alive. Do you think it would help if they wrote a letter stating that he used both names and then had it notarised?
It is hard to know what each consulate would accept in these specific instances. Each case is different so it is best to inquire at the consulate for specifics, the guidance and solutions they offer will be best for your situation. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 26 Feb 2010, 00:20

mler wrote:I think the James part may well be a problem. Vincent is the anglicized version of Vincenzo. The Italian version of James is Giacomo.

It's true, however for some odd reason Vincenzo's became Vincent's and then that name often morphed into James/Jimmy. I had an "Uncle Jimmy" who's birth certificate says Vincenzo, for example.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 26 Feb 2010, 02:48

It's often funny to see how names changed, often with no regard to legitimate translations. It does mess things up, though, when applying for citizenship.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”