Italian Citizenship - More than one consulate jurisdiction?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
puppetgrass

Italian Citizenship - More than one consulate jurisdiction?

Postby puppetgrass » 28 Feb 2010, 19:42

Hi All -

We are close to the application phase of our project but have read conflicting information on how this needs to be done if there are multiple people applying together and more than one consulate jurisdiction.

For example, my siblings and parents are all going to apply, however they all fall under the NY Italian consulate whereas I fall under the PA one. Does anyone know if I can apply with them? Or what they use to check residency (I split my time about 50/50 but have residency set up in my state)?

If I can't apply with them, does that mean I have to have a complete set of documents myself?

Thanks - I'd appreciate any tips/guidance here as I haven't found a clear set of instructions!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian Citizenship - More than one consulate jurisdicti

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Feb 2010, 21:03

Since your parents are applying, neither you nor your siblings need to file separate applications. Your parents can wait until their own application has been approved and then simply register the births of their children, no matter what the age, using the process outlined under "HOW TO REGISTER A CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH/MARRIAGE/DEATH" on this page http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... to_civile/

This is how I registered my 23 year-old son's birth. A week later he had a letter in hand recognizing his Italian citizenship and inviting him to go in to apply for his passport.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Postby DeFilippis78 » 28 Feb 2010, 21:05

Im not sure about your question about split jurisdictions. But I just want to give some advice. Me and my mother are applying together at the same consulate. And although we can use the same paper work (I think) Im ordering doubles for everything. Usually for the first vital record its around $25 and $2 for a copy if ordered at the same time. You might not need second copies but if you do, its much cheaper to order them at the same time "just in case".

Alicia

puppetgrass

Postby puppetgrass » 28 Feb 2010, 22:25

Thanks JohnnyontheSpot!

What jurisdiction did you apply through?

My father is the bloodline contact - does it make a difference if my mom and siblings all wait obtain our citizenship via the marriage/birth certificate registration once he is an Italian citizen or should everyone in the NY Consulate jurisdiction apply at once and then I'll do the birth certificate registration?

If that's the way the system works, that is great and would be excellent! I think we have all of our documents and are now working on getting them translated. This is so exciting and this website/the forum members have been invaluable!!

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 28 Feb 2010, 23:37

We live in Connecticut and applied at the New York City consulate. During our first visit to NYC, my wife asked if our adult son could apply with us; she was told, no, he should file his own application after your husband's has been approved.

Many months after my own citizenship had been recognized (and my wife's as well since we married before April 27, 1983), I was getting together the materials for our son's application when I thought to myself this makes no sense, why should he have to go through all this trouble?

I decided to take a shot and simply register his birth as though it had occurred recently. Filled out the form, attached a certified/translated/apostilled copy of our son's birth certificate and copies of my driver's license and Italian passport. A week later, my son had his recognition letter. I have since learned that at least a few other consulates are permitting this practice (Los Angeles and Chicago? I think) as well.

For sure, you should ask the consulate. You can send an email to anagrafe.newyork@esteri.it (remove the spaces) and see what they have to say.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

mler
Master
Master

Postby mler » 01 Mar 2010, 00:06

When I was in NY with my adult son, I was told that they would not process my application because my residence was in the jurisdiction of the Newark consulate. I was told to apply in Newark, and then, once my application was approved, my son could apply. I told them that my son would apply through my line, and if I chose to do so, I would later apply in Newark.

I think johnnyonthespot's experience is likely what would happen. They did say that if I applied in Newark after my son's citizenship was approved, I should simply submit my birth certificate again and ask Newark to reference my son's application. I'm guessing it would work that way for your family.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”