Help with citizenship for my wife

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.

Help with citizenship for my wife

Postby boat21 » 04 Mar 2010, 17:10

I am writing to ask for help with obtaining Italian citizenship for my wife. We live in Canada and have been married more than 3 years. I have had my Italian passport for several years which I got through my father. I brought an original marriage certificate issued by Canadian provincial authorities to the consulate immediately following our marriage which I was told was sent to my Commune in Italy. At the time, they told me to wait 3 years and then I could apply for my wife’s citizenship.

Three years passed and I went to the Italian consulate again. After a few months, they sent me the forms for my wife’s application. I can read basic Italian but I really have trouble understanding some of the terminology. I figure there must be someone who knows exactly what paperwork is required. Our situation however might be slightly more complicated than others because my wife has immigrated to Canada from China. For example, she does not have a government issued birth certificate in the sense we know it, but rather a notarized attestation of her birth in Chinese and translated into English: (1) Is this sufficient in lieu of a birth certificate and if so, does it need to be translated into Italian? The forms also ask for proof of marriage translated into Italian: (2) I would have thought that the original certificate I brought to the consulate after we got married would be sufficient – do I really need to get it notarized and translated?

I/we would really appreciate it if someone who knows could tell me what exactly the consulate will need form me and to walk me through what all the steps will be from here on in, as well as what timelines to expect.

Thank you very much in advance.

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”