Where to find info on immigrants in Brazil

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Where to find info on immigrants in Brazil

Postby jt27 » 05 Mar 2010, 00:56

Hi All,

I just spoke with a newly discovered cousin and he gave me some great information on our family's history. One item in particular I wanted to research more, but I'm not sure what resources are available. He told me that when my great-great grandparents (Andrew and Columba Sorbo) immigrated to Brazil in the late 1890's, they had two small children with them. Both children got sick and died. Their names were then given to the next children of the same gender (one of them being my great grandfather, Peter, the other being his sister Maria). As the story goes, the original childrens' birth certificates were reused as well to avoid a tax or fee that would be charged for new ones. We were always told that my great grandfather was born in Sao Paolo, Brazil in January of 1897. Now, we're not confident of this. Are there any online resources for searching death or birth records for Italian families who were in Brazil temporarily?

Return to “Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship”